• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Explorer Package

Mountaingoat0122

Are you asking if there’s a trim code to have both? You don’t have both though, you have one or the other only. From the sound of it, you’re looking for the Ranger trim code.
I know some 72-73 ranger package broncos had I4 body code and I have also seen some data tags and Marti reports of some 73 rangers with B4 body code.
My 1973 bronco is either a I4 or 14 body code. Some of the 72-73 broncos with the I4 trim code were in fact rangers from post I’ve seen on here. But when the marti report was obtained it’s does not list it on there.
Possibly a record issue on FOMOCO’s part like how some marti reports list front and rear bench seat when from what I’ve been told here never existed and I’ve never seen.
I’m asking what the body codes were which were on the explorers package broncos in 1973.

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I know some 72-73 ranger package broncos had I4 body code and I have also seen some data tags and Marti reports of some 73 rangers with B4 body code.
My 1973 bronco is either a I4 or 14 body code. Some of the 72-73 broncos with the I4 trim code were in fact rangers from post I’ve seen on here. But when the marti report was obtained it’s does not list it on there.
Possibly a record issue on FOMOCO’s part like how some marti reports list front and rear bench seat when from what I’ve been told here never existed and I’ve never seen.
I’m asking what the body codes were which were on the explorers package broncos in 1973.

14 is blue vinyl 73' Explorer interior, S4 is 74' blue Explorer, TB is 76' blue Explorer,

AB is 76' and 77' Blue Ranger interior.

That's all I can remember off hand. Iirc there were mix ups on Martis in 72' that B4 and I4 as the same color and seems like one had a bizarro one like Blue sport seats or something like that.

Mountaingoat0122

Orange Explorer Interior - 94
Blue Explorer Interior - 14

Ginger Ranger Interior - C4
Avocado Ranger Interior - G4
Blue Ranger Interior - B4
Thanks for the info.
There’s been some stuff on here that some 72-73 ranger package broncos had I4 trim code as well

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
14 is blue vinyl 73' Explorer interior, S4 is 74' blue Explorer, TB is 76' blue Explorer,

AB is 76' and 77' Blue Ranger interior.

That's all I can remember off hand. Iirc there were mix ups on Martis in 72' that B4 and I4 as the same color and seems like one had a bizarro one like Blue sport seats or something like that.
Thanks for the info.
There’s been some stuff on here that some 72-73 ranger package broncos had I4 trim code as well
My 1972 early Ranger (one of the P’s & Q’s) trucks has the I4 trim code. Interior is listed on Marti report as “Avocado Sport Bucket Seats snd Rear Seat.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Thanks for the info.
I've got 72' Martis with a
-84 for Ginger Explorer interior
-G4 for Blue Sport Buckets and rear
-I4 for Avacado Sport buckets and rear

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Martis are notorious for trim code errors. Whether it's Ford's fault or Marti's fault, they still have mistakes in that area.
One of mine has an error on the Marti that I’m certain is from Ford. It states it came with an option (cigar lighter) that it never had, and I have one of the old Ford reports from back in the day that says the same. I actually lean towards a lot of the errors being from Ford.

Blitzen72

Yours does not have the cigar lighter in the dash? I'd always assumed the lighter was standard issue... I haven't seen a ton of Broncos, but every one I've seen has the lighter in the dash.

Mountaingoat0122

Let me guess, yours is a Blue 73 Explorer? Seems to be a common thing on the Marti Reports.
I have a wind blue 1973 Ford Bronco that I bought from the 2nd owners son. Marti says explorer package. He says it was original to the way they bought it except it was painted/bondo over after a while. It has ranger on glovebox door, painted dash (which I think explorers also had), upon stripping mostly bondo I found white kinda resembles white paint where a Ranger stripe would have been on the wind blue paint. So some indications it could be a Ranger. It also had Ranger front seats and the wood grain door panels. He said he was always told it was a ranger and they used it at a hunting club so it wasn’t titled much since the early 80s.
I’ve read explorer package broncos came in two colors but could be ordered in any color. I’ve also read about explorer package broncos were built and offered in the spring but mine was built in June 1973. I don’t know how correct any of it is.
You can’t tell if the trim code on the data plate is I4 or 14. So idk honestly if it was an explorer or a ranger package. Regardless I don’t care if it’s a base I would still like it, but it’s interesting trying to figure out what it started life as and it’s history.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I have a wind blue 1973 Ford Bronco that I bought from the 2nd owners son. Marti says explorer package. He says it was original to the way they bought it except it was painted/bondo over after a while. It has ranger on glovebox door, painted dash (which I think explorers also had), upon stripping mostly bondo I found white kinda resembles white paint where a Ranger stripe would have been on the wind blue paint. So some indications it could be a Ranger. It also had Ranger front seats and the wood grain door panels. He said he was always told it was a ranger and they used it at a hunting club so it wasn’t titled much since the early 80s.
I’ve read explorer package broncos came in two colors but could be ordered in any color. I’ve also read about explorer package broncos were built and offered in the spring but mine was built in June 1973. I don’t know how correct any of it is.
You can’t tell if the trim code on the data plate is I4 or 14. So idk honestly if it was an explorer or a ranger package. Regardless I don’t care if it’s a base I would still like it, but it’s interesting trying to figure out what it started life as and it’s history.
14 is Blue 73 Explorer interior, I4 is Avocado “72”, and B4 is Blue 73 Ranger.

The interior code indicates Explorer. Does it appear to have the original glovebox door? Does the VIN on the warranty plate match everything else?

Mountaingoat0122

14 is Blue 73 Explorer interior, I4 is Avocado “72”, and B4 is Blue 73 Ranger.

The interior code indicates Explorer. Does it appear to have the original glovebox door? Does the VIN on the warranty plate match everything else?

Both numbers from the frame, the vin on the driver side door pillar sticker and the glovebox data tag all match. The glovebox door is wind blue under the paint they painted the whole truck over with just like the rest of the truck and appears to be original. The glovebox data tag rivets appear to be original and do not look like they’ve ever been tampered with. Like I mentioned in another post the second owners son said it was that way from around 1980 when they bought it and he says he was always told it was a ranger. It has a Ranger emblem affixed on the glovebox door

chuddy

I've got 72' Martis with a
-84 for Ginger Explorer interior
-G4 for Blue Sport Buckets and rear
-I4 for Avacado Sport buckets and rear

Here's an "early Ranger" that I sold a few years back with the I4 code:

0zXIN2M.jpeg

AaOO9P5.jpeg

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I had a 73 Explorer build date of 4/25/73 It was trim code 94 Orange Random Stripe bench Seat and rear Seat. The body color was Y for orange paint.
unfortunately by the time I got it the only Explorer things left about it was the tag on the dash but it appeared it had bucket front seats not a bench..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
view

Mine looked like the one in this post. It was dark jade metallic, then was painted red, and is now black. Interior is painted all black as well. Original seats are gone and now it was two seats that the PO said came from a 1980's F-150 and theyre blue cloth.

My tag in the glove box has the same color and body code.

great look :)

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
I thought I'd add this info to the thread. I've been collecting the paint codes and numbers produced for the 72 Explorer Sports. The great majority were Durango Tan and Ginger Metallic, but I've found that there were limited numbers produced for several other colors. If anyone has Marti Reports for the missing colors I'd love to see them.

I have an original paint "T" code/Candyapple Red 72 E/S, that is what sent me on this mission.

3006 total 72 E/S made
1655 Durango Tan/Light Goldenrod (paint code X)
488 Hot Ginger Metallic (paint code Z)
260 Sequoia Brown (paint code R)- unconfirmed, no actual Marti Report posted
141 Candyapple Red (paint code T)
118 Tampico Yellow (paint code 8)- unconfirmed, no actual Marti Report posted
96 Seapine Green (paint code O)- unconfirmed, not actual Marti Report posted
71 Royal Maroon (paint code 2)
66 Mallard Green (paint code V)
60 Winter Green (paint code Q)
36 Chrome Yellow (paint code G)
15 unknown