• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering cooler with fan

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Trying to find a small cooler with fan that will fit Bronco engine compartment without much success.
Any recomendations?

Has anyone combined a stacked plate cooler with a 6.5” SPAL fan?

1713141145715.png

1713141159306.png

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
It doesn’t take much to cool steering, I’m finding this curious. I’m all for doing what you want and what the thought process is behind it. I’ve had good success with a small cooler mounted near the pump in the wash of the engine fan.

Attachments

• IMG_1476.png
    IMG_1476.png
    904.6 KB · Views: 33

Contributor
I have run several of these on various applications and plan to run one on my Bronco.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Unless you are running a hydraulic winch off the power steering, that is beyond overkill, or you have some other massive issue that is not being addressed correctly and you want to cover the symptoms instead of the cause.

rocknhorse76

Contributor
Bronco owner since 1993 💪🏻
Loc.
Central WA
I’m going to mount it to the front engine crossmember below the harmonic balancer. No I won’t have any fans, never needed them before with the same setup.
That’s the same one I use and mine is also mounted on the crossmember. I’m running a PSC remote reservoir pump, 4x4x2 box, hydroboost, and hydro assist, and my fluid stays cool.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Us old retired guys like to over design and over think non-existant issues.
I am/was looking for a smaller version of this to fit above the driver side core support.

View attachment 923348
[/URL]
I understand that lol. wish you luck finding one that meets your requirements.

I use the log style like @1969 on my bronco. As long as it gets some air movement it’s all good, they are over kill as long as they get some air, front crossmember accomplishes that spectacularly.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Us old retired guys like to over design and over think non-existant issues.
I am/was looking for a smaller version of this to fit above the driver side core support.

View attachment 923348
[/URL][/URL]
Make sure you go stacked plate design as they are much more efficient- therefore smaller package with more cooling effect. Just .02

I run a small stacked plate next to my radiator behind my grill. Even when crawling on rocks for hours on 90deg days it's fine.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I am using one of these in the Wagon's PS plumbing: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-33601 Notice that it is stacked plates with fins between each pair of plates. Those are not quite as strong as the pure stacked plate design, but are reportedly better at dumping heat.
Mounted it in the 'pie plate' opening that all of these Wagons & J-Trucks have:
i-sDv6QRb-XL.jpg

Some tricky plumbing got it connected to a pair of bulkhead fittings int he core support:
i-fspJMH7-XL.jpg

I don't have a lot of faith in the heat-sink style of cooler for long term heat generation. They're likely fine for a PS system in continuous use or short term drag race or Auto-X trans use, but I'd just rather not. I'm in the process of removing one that was used for trans cooling on the Wagon. I find that I am liking using the dead-soft 3/8" aluminum tubing for cooler plumbing. Bends and flares nicely, and rejects heat better than does steel tubing.