• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Paint time!!

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
I should have taken pictures because it will be hard to explain. On the bottom of the panel where the section is cut out to rest down on the frame, there are bolt holes in the frame. I used a steel 1”x1/8” plate about 5 inches long and put a nutsert in the middle of it. That plate goes up inside the opening in the panel and each cutout spot and spans beyond the length of the cutout area on the inside. Reaching up inside the frame box I but a bolt up into the 1“ inch bar and tightened it down. It basically sandwiches the post tightly down to the frame. Did this on both sides. I can draw a pic if this is hard to visualize.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
The 2x2 post does require a bit of custom trimming to fit perfectly. It slightly hits on back top. I cut out any sections of the post that hit keeping it from going back in far enough to alighn with tailgate. Easy to do since it is aluminum, but took some time figuring out what it was hitting that kept it from sliding far enough back to be flush with tailgate. I should have taken pics. My bad.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
Looks great, I decided to take the easy route.....just haven't installed yet!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Long road to get to this point. So much rust, welding, blocking, epoxy, high build work!!! But she is flat as glass. Sealer, base, clear. New booth worked amazing. Best part is the walls roll up and store on the ceiling. Tomorrow doors, fenders, and top of hood.
Hi, just wondering how you deal with the hinges? Did you shoot the top of the hood laying flat, or hang it?

It seems like if I hang the hood...the hinge only gets 1/2 painted, and shows up as stripes when open. (or closed) On the windshield piano hinge, I seem to have to paint it both open, and closed. Just wondering if you had a trick?

Nice color.

Attachments

• hoodpic.jpg
    hoodpic.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 73655354241__4EA4D07D-18E0-4133-AC2F-96B5E3B3A482.jpeg
    73655354241__4EA4D07D-18E0-4133-AC2F-96B5E3B3A482.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Hi James. I always shoot the hood laying flat. The clear goes on so much better, and if you are planning on cut and buffing, having a bit more dust in it from laying flat is not an issue. Interesting that my home garage booth was amazingly clean and I had almost no pollution in the paint...lucky. I first mask off the top of the hood as in the pic you posted. The mask line is not noticeable at all along the edge of the bottom side of the hood. When painting the bottom, I have the hinges open as in the pic. Once the bottom is dry (I let it sit 3 days), I tape off the bottom and paint the top flat as well. I tape off the hinges that were painted open and then close them to do them closed. That gets both sides.

For the windshield, I paint it off the truck as well. and hang it. On this one I am mounting a full hardtop so the windshield will not be coming down to the hood. I focused on making sure the hinge was painted good in the closed position which is what will show. Of course the entire hinge was epoxied and primed both open and closed so it is well protected. The hinge, as you know, is hard to move on the windshield when off the truck. So I pretty much got it as closed as I could get before hanging it and painted it that way. Came out super nice. If I were painting a Bronco where the windshield might be lowered on occasion, I would buy the SS hinge and not paint it at all.

The tiny little white you see in the hinge seams is actually buffing compound that I have now cleaned out (after this pic was taken).
IMG_8467.JPG IMG_8468.JPG IMG_8493.JPG

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Thanks. Looking forward to finishing and starting another!

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Well, leaving on an extended multi-month work trip. Won’t be able to finish Bronco until the Fall. Wanted to have all the paint done before leaving but failed to get the top painted. So it’s going under a canvas cover in my shop until then.
Some final pics:
IMG_8554.jpeg IMG_8550.jpeg IMG_8549.jpeg IMG_8546.jpeg

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Looks fantastic! It’s a shame you’ll have to wait a while before you can start enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You are a brave soul with only 40% of your lug nuts!
Looks nice despite all that.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
🤣 they are tight and it has never moved more than 10 feet in and out of shop. It is not drivable yet. But your right, no reason not to put them on now that I’m done removing wheels.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Curious how the bed sides attach down once the hardtop is installed.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
There are brackets that go on top of the bolt section of the top and have raised pieces that the quarter panel trim bends over and attaches to. This cleans up the look of the top bolt down section. Here is a pic of the brackets. I plan on making my own, but all the vendors sale them.

Not sure who makes the bed side panels I bought, but you can get either the shorter ones that do not fold over the top bolts (used for topless application) or the taller ones that I have that help cleanup the top bolts from all the vendors.

Yes, boxwood green, but as noted previously, there are two versions of early Ford BWG. One is considerably darker than the the other. I made sure to get the lighter color and also had them make it a bit lighter than stock.

Quater Panel Brackets.jpg

Last edited:

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
Looks great! I started to paint mine boxwood green 4 years ago. I'm most likely going to go a different color because so many people have done the same. Can't wait to see it all done.