• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fullcab to Halfcab Mod

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is probably one of the coolest mods I've seen here in awhile.

OP
OP
njy229

njy229

Contributor
That is probably one of the coolest mods I've seen here in awhile.
Thanks, I've been thinking about attempting this for years and finally started on it as a winter project last year. Nice to not have an old Bronco top taking up space in the yard anymore too.

OP
OP
njy229

njy229

Contributor
Getting it fabbed up nice. Have you thought about adding a CHMSL (brake light) to it?
Actually I have, to the point where I was shopping online for one. All of them were designed to mount to the outside of a metal panel and I was looking for something to mount to the inside so it would be flush with the panel. I also thought about cutting a design or the Bronco script into it and having a brake light behind it to light it up. I don't want to get carried away and make it gaudy though.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
On a side note, your bronco has a great stance...Care to elaborate on suspension/BL, tire size??? Thanks.

OP
OP
njy229

njy229

Contributor
On a side note, your bronco has a great stance...Care to elaborate on suspension/BL, tire size??? Thanks.

When I was young with no back pain I installed the KbarS 2.5" suspension lift pictured below and a 2" body lift. Now that I'm older with back pain I replaced the vintage KbarS springs with the 2.5″ 11 Leaf Springs and 2.5" Progressive Rate Coil Springs from James Duff. Also have one Eibach/Duff MS2020 shock per tire now. Still have the body lift too.

35x12.50 BFG All terrains for tires.

IMG_1677.jpg

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Turned out great! Nice work.

Wish I would have seen this earlier and followed. I built a half cab out of a half cab. It had been crushed and I made new sides and made them longer for more footroom with bucket seats. No back window as my 6pt cage needed to go thru like you did. I used BMW windscreen material for the back.

Bending the rear corners kinda like you did. I have pics somewhere showing 6 large 1" pipe bar clamps and a dozen welding clamps on each side to get the compound curve. Took forever!

This is from tonight as my daughter and I are running the Rubicon & headed that way tomorrow. You can see the sides are a bit longer and the back windscreen.

Built this around 2010 as I was year round topless for a dozen years prior here in snow country. Drove it almost every day.

Attachments

• 20230927_193251.jpg
    20230927_193251.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
njy229

njy229

Contributor
Turned out great! Nice work.

Wish I would have seen this earlier and followed. I built a half cab out of a half cab. It had been crushed and I made new sides and made them longer for more footroom with bucket seats. No back window as my 6pt cage needed to go thru like you did. I used BMW windscreen material for the back.

Bending the rear corners kinda like you did. I have pics somewhere showing 6 large 1" pipe bar clamps and a dozen welding clamps on each side to get the compound curve. Took forever!

This is from tonight as my daughter and I are running the Rubicon & headed that way tomorrow. You can see the sides are a bit longer and the back windscreen.

Built this around 2010 as I was year round topless for a dozen years prior here in snow country. Drove it almost every day.

Damn that looks awesome! Gives me some motivation to do some bodywork and throw some paint on mine. I've been procrastinating because I want to line up the doors before doing any bodywork on the top. Door alignment is one of the most frustrating things to do for me.

I thought about using clear vinyl (with holes for the rollbar) as a rear window but this Bronco is basically retired from wheeling and is a nice weather cruiser now so I'll just leave it open. I still have to decide whether or not to add a 3rd brake light too.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I have looked for years for a flush mount (similar) 3rd brake light.

I have looked a lot on big road bike sites also but can't find the one I liked about 8yrs ago on a big Hog.

Keep on it! I like what ya did and you'll love it for years to come! :)

OP
OP
njy229

njy229

Contributor
The plan was to do bodywork on the top this past winter in the garage but after I realized the dust would be out of control I used that excuse to procrastinate until the weather was nice enough to do outside. We had decent weather the other weekend so I got to sanding. Going to need to do a little welding in the corners to fill up some of the bigger holes then I'll throw some body filler on.

Attachments

• IMG_7483.jpg
    IMG_7483.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7485.jpg
    IMG_7485.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7490.jpg
    IMG_7490.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7491.jpg
    IMG_7491.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 24

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
That top is coming out nice. While you are doing some body work you could make a rear center high brake light. I built one out of fiberglass to match the profile of the roof. It is not too gaudy but is very noticeable when the brakes are applied. It has small round LED;s in it.

Attachments

• vanity 3.JPG
    vanity 3.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 35
  • chmsl8.JPG
    chmsl8.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 30
  • chmsl7.JPG
    chmsl7.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 23
  • chmsl6.JPG
    chmsl6.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 24
  • chmsl5.JPG
    chmsl5.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 22
  • chmsl4.JPG
    chmsl4.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 21
  • chmsl3.JPG
    chmsl3.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 20
  • chmsl2.JPG
    chmsl2.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 21
  • chmsl1.JPG
    chmsl1.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
njy229

njy229

Contributor
That top is coming out nice. While you are doing some body work you could make a rear center high brake light. I built one out of fiberglass to match the profile of the roof. It is not too gaudy but is very noticeable when the brakes are applied. It has small round LED;s in it.
I thought about adding a 3rd brake light and might down the road. I'm at the point where I just want to finish this project because it has taken so long and is cluttering up the garage. The back piece of the top that drops down a bit is screwed into the top and can be easily removed so it will be easier to cut a hole later to add a light. Your 3rd light looks great.