• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Sagging in Rear

JayM_71Bronco

Hey there, I have a 1971 Bronco and I am running the Tom's Offroad stock suspension components. I replaced the shocks and springs in both the front and rear. The only thing I haven't replaced yet is the rear lead springs. I have noticed after the suspension has settled that the truck sags pretty badly in the rear of the vehicle. The suspension seems level when looking at the front end and rear of the truck but from the side profile the rear is noticeably lower than the front. Looks like it has a Cali lean..

It seems like a lot to ask of 2 rear leaf springs and before i go and drop the money on new ones I am curious if you have any thoughts to level this out?

Open to any thoughts and I appreciate the insights in advance! Holler with any questions.

Photos:
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/media/albums/suspension-lean.4108/

Contributor
I would spend the $3-400 at Toms and get new leaf springs personally. It will improve your ride quality and handling as well. Then your Bronco will be level and looking proper!

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
something looks really weird there........so all you replaced was the front shocks and springs, and "just" the rear shocks correct??

I would check the front end lift because to me (for what that's worth) your front is riding high for stock.
On a stock Bronco the distance from the top of the front axle tube to the bottom of the frame is seven inches. Anything over seven is your amount of lift.

OP
OP
JayM_71Bronco

JayM_71Bronco

@m_m70 that is correct, all I have replaced is bushings, the front shocks and springs, and the rear shocks. I have not replaced leaf springs or anything else. I agree it looks high, I wonder if they had given me the wrong springs or something and they are actually quite taller in the front than stock..

Brush Hog

Contributor
Loc.
NorCal
I wouldn’t expect mixing new front springs with old rear
leaf springs to create a level stance. Then factor in old body mounts with the mismatched springs and that will make things really uneven. Even a set of new front and rear springs will sometimes require adding or removing a leaf or 2 to get things level.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Presumably, the engine is installed. Correct?
Sounds like it, so if that’s the case, then just measure as was described above and you’ll know what springs you have.
If they are stock height, then you will be approximately 7 inches between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame rail. Half an inch either way is acceptable, but an inch and a half means you have the wrong spring.
Assuming the vehicle is fully assembled as in the picture.

OP
OP
JayM_71Bronco

JayM_71Bronco

Appreciate the responses here! I measured today (assuming I took the right measurement from the location described above) and its around 8" in the front. Now I am starting to think maybe it is the wrong springs that were sent by TBP.. I will go out tomorrow again and take another measurement and take a picture of where I measured from.

Jonathan_Cole

Appreciate the responses here! I measured today (assuming I took the right measurement from the location described above) and its around 8" in the front. Now I am starting to think maybe it is the wrong springs that were sent by TBP.. I will go out tomorrow again and take another measurement and take a picture of where I measured from.

I would call them and give them your measurements. You likely have the wrong springs. I received something this week from Tom's that was boxed wrong.

It happens and they always make it right. Just makes it a p.i.t.a. when you have to do something more than once.

Just curious, why'd you replace the front springs and not the rear?

Leaf springs can flatten out over time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayM_71Bronco

JayM_71Bronco

Yeah I may have to give them a call. I appreciate that insight Jonathan!
I replaced the rear shocks, just not the leafs. When I bought the truck it was supposed to be running and driving (shocker it wasn't). So slowly
but surely I have been rebuilding everything from the engine back. Saved the money on replacing the rear leaf springs thinking the stocks were fine but after putting the replacement suspension pieces in it just doesn't sit right.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And just to be sure here, the engine is installed at this point. Correct?
Just making sure, because that would easily explain away a higher than expected front end.

Jonathan_Cole

Yeah I may have to give them a call. I appreciate that insight Jonathan!
I replaced the rear shocks, just not the leafs. When I bought the truck it was supposed to be running and driving (shocker it wasn't). So slowly
but surely I have been rebuilding everything from the engine back. Saved the money on replacing the rear leaf springs thinking the stocks were fine but after putting the replacement suspension pieces in it just doesn't sit right.

Completely understand about the budget.

I started my project last year. All I wanted to do was put on a 2 inch lift, wheels and tires. Almost everything I've done to save some money has ended up costing me more in the end.

If you don't want to spend the cash on leafs right now I'd put a set of lift blocks in the rear to even it out.

OP
OP
JayM_71Bronco

JayM_71Bronco

Correct yes the engine is installed on this truck. Still planning to measure just haven't had time to get to the shop. Will plan to circle back here.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Sounds to me like the front springs haven't settled at all and the old rear springs are worn out or at least worn and not providing the lift like they would when new. I have found that manufacturers are selling springs that have a bit more than factory lift as they believe most customers won't mind a little more, and most customers have added an aftermarket bumper, winches etc which will cause loss of lift.

OP
OP
JayM_71Bronco

JayM_71Bronco

So i did the springs and shocks in the front and rear shocks like last October so its been a while and they should ahve settled. I really think its the rear leafs.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Measure, Front & Rear, between top of axle housing tube and bottom of frame.
Stock is 7"ish for front and 6"ish for rear.
You state above front measured 8", which would be a 1" lift.
Measure rear to tell how much lift (negative) you have currently.