• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Narrowed 78/79 Dana 44 castor

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
I only narrow the long side by 6" when I do that mod.
Cool thanks! Any chance you could tell me if a 78/79 axle has more castor built into from the factory than the low piñon bronco axle did?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Cool thanks! Any chance you could tell me if a 78/79 axle has more castor built into from the factory than the low piñon bronco axle did?
It does, a lot more, just don't remember how much more.

Edit:

I am wrong in my statement, memory plays in sometimes. Memory of more caster was from the need for less pinion inclination when replacing a low pinion giving it the appearance of more caster, when in reality it does not.

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru

The caster on my '77 EB D44 and '76 F150 HP D44 were within 1° of one another, which I assume is probably just manufacturing tolerances. My understanding is that all of the radius arm F150 D44's had similar caster from the factory, even with the D44 design change in 1978.

My '77 EB with 3.5" lift drove really well with 7° bushings and CAGE long arms with 4.25° added caster IIRC, so 11.25° total correction, noting that the actual caster at ride height was 7°-8°, give or take. My pinion angle was a joke and even the offset u-joints were at their limits when the suspension drooped, hence my decision to swap to a high-pinion axle.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
The caster on my '77 EB D44 and '76 F150 HP D44 were within 1° of one another, which I assume is probably just manufacturing tolerances. My understanding is that all of the radius arm F150 D44's had similar caster from the factory, even with the D44 design change in 1978.

My '77 EB with 3.5" lift drove really well with 7° bushings and CAGE long arms with 4.25° added caster IIRC, so 11.25° total correction, noting that the actual caster at ride height was 7°-8°, give or take. My pinion angle was a joke and even the offset u-joints were at their limits when the suspension drooped, hence my decision to swap to a high-pinion axle.
yup. You nailed it. EB and F150 are indeed within 1 degree. I posted a picture of both measurements in post #5. Manufacturing tolerances are well within 1/4 degree from Dana Spicer. The EB and the F150 are just 1 degree different. (and the F150 is actually 1 degree LESS)

My 69 EB with 3.5 lift has zero degree bushings and stock arms with "cut and turn" caster correction in the inner C's. the actual caster at ride height is 7 degrees. Pinion angle is 15 degrees. Driveshaft angle is within 1 degree. Here's a pic from this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 25

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have a Heep in the garage right now that has 20degrees of caster😳 I think without ram assist it would be like driving manual steering. But it sure tracks straight

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor

Thanks for this info. Your 7degree bushings and long arm set up is what I was looking at doing for mid low pinion . I’ve been really concerned about the driveshaft angle doing that. So this is the reason I’m looking at going high opinion AND also why I asked if high pinions had the same castor built in as the low pinion. Looks like either way I will need to run 7 degree bushings and duffs long arms. Or just cut the c’s on my other low pinion set them at 6-7 degrees and run it with my original arms for now. Idk really. I did buy the high pinion today complete for $350 so I thought that was a fair price for around here.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
yup. You nailed it. EB and F150 are indeed within 1 degree. I posted a picture of both measurements in post #5. Manufacturing tolerances are well within 1/4 degree from Dana Spicer. The EB and the F150 are just 1 degree different. (and the F150 is actually 1 degree LESS)

My 69 EB with 3.5 lift has zero degree bushings and stock arms with "cut and turn" caster correction in the inner C's. the actual caster at ride height is 7 degrees. Pinion angle is 15 degrees. Driveshaft angle is within 1 degree. Here's a pic from this morning.
I really appreciate all the help you have given
Me.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Thanks for the info James. I’m a little confused here where you say “ or else cut more off the short side” could you elaborate a little more here? From what I’ve read, the long side needs to be shortened 6” and the short side somewhere in the neighborhood of 5/8” to
Make it the same width as the low pinion 44.
HP? Cut the outers off of both sides and clock them for 7-8 deg caster. I have no idea what lift you are running but you had better do some accurate measuring or ask some guys here that have done it a bunch to ask for HP diff to pan clearance!!!! If you want to keep susp lift down to a minimum then the DS axle housing being cut helps move the HP closer to the frame and farther from the oil pan. REALLY worth checking...

Caster. What most don't realize is back when EB's were made nylon & bias ply tires and manual steering where the norm for the previous 60 yrs on light trucks or Heeps. Nylon & bias ply tires and manual strg need low caster #'s. Pwr strg and radials require much higher caster numbers for the strg wheel to return to center and for tracking of course.

OP
OP
widowmaker77

widowmaker77

Contributor
HP? Cut the outers off of both sides and clock them for 7-8 deg caster. I have no idea what lift you are running but you had better do some accurate measuring or ask some guys here that have done it a bunch to ask for HP diff to pan clearance!!!! If you want to keep susp lift down to a minimum then the DS axle housing being cut helps move the HP closer to the frame and farther from the oil pan. REALLY worth checking...

Caster. What most don't realize is back when EB's were made nylon & bias ply tires and manual steering where the norm for the previous 60 yrs on light trucks or Heeps. Nylon & bias ply tires and manual strg need low caster #'s. Pwr strg and radials require much higher caster numbers for the strg wheel to return to center and for tracking of course.
Thanks nvrstuk!!
@jamesrooney pretty much answered all of this for me.
The axle I have is a 78-79 with cast wedges are the c’s removable in this axle to correct castor?
Also I’m running duff 3.5 coils upfront.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Everything is removable with a plasma cutter! :)

Seriously tho, they will have to be cut off But so worth it for all the benefits you will be getting.