• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Which fire extinguisher and how are you mounting it

RealJakeMalloy

Which fire extinguisher are folks recommending these days and how are you storing it? I don't do any off road with mine - I haul two kids (4 &10) and a dog - but my truck is such that if it caught fire anytime I would be surprised but not shocked. Seems like a good thing to have just in case.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I had the cheap ones from depot or oriellys. Sure enough when the 72 caught fire it didn't work. Luckily a guy walking out of the store had a gallon of water which put it out. Needless to say the next day I was at 4wp buying a few of the nice $100 ones. As for mounting wh had some nice quick release mounts

Dylan_Shaffer

Contributor
Loc.
Huntington Beach
Would suggest the latch/cam over style mounts if possible. The ones that utilize detent pins are slick but dust and sand accumulation in the pin makes it near impossible to remove when you need it.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I have a Buckeye Halotron 70251 in every vehicle. It’s a replacement for Halon gas and leaves no residue. Dry powder extinguishers will leave powder everywhere, and it can be very corrosive.
Fits nicely between the seats and tucked under the Igloo Kool-Rest.
7efc68d9134eb6113ea4d648fbe700f4.jpg

2d74158c12f816c0829404fb84df7be7.jpg

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
here's what i'm running with an axia alloy mount

Attachments

• IMG_1197.jpeg
    IMG_1197.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 28

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Never seen what ya just posted Steve- gonna check 'em out 'cause if they use them in that applicatioin then they've gotta work well.

I run 2 ABC's mounted on my cage w/quick release mounts. I carry another next to my seat.

I can't afford to buy five $250 extinguishers to put in my rigs so I'll have to wash the crud off- done it before! Would love to have a couple of those in each rig. I do know as a PT firefighter for 20yrs that a 5# ABC fire extinguisher lasts about 1/2 as long as you want it to. That's why I carry three.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
i've seen these not work so well at the track. i've personally steered clear of them due to what i saw. i think there's a time and place for these and they're certainly better than nothing.
I can see that. I think on our relatively open cars they benefit from that. Most of our fires are from oil on headers from roll overs or the crazy angles we put them through. When I’m in course with a car that I work on I never use an extinguisher, unless it’s a fuel fire (which I’ve never had personally), couple of handfuls of dirt and it’s handled and don’t have to deal with the clean up from the extinguisher.

nvrstuk

Contributor
i've seen these not work so well at the track. i've personally steered clear of them due to what i saw. i think there's a time and place for these and they're certainly better than nothing.
What is it about them that doesn't work so well?

Is it the lack of retardant in the E50, or inability to get close to the fire or ?

These sounded so good I was gonna pull the trigger but I'll just keep my multiple clunky ABC's???

Thx for input.

snipes243

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
I run a 5lb abc on a quick detach mount on the roll bar. Then I have an element on magnet next to the drivers seat.

These guys did a nice review on the element that shows the pros and cons.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Looks like they are more dependable than an 5# chemical that's older but still shows "green"! :(

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
The element extinguishers look interesting, but this is giving me second thoughts:
Now, I don't know if the video was an actual failure of the extinguisher, or he may have snuffed it out inadvertently... But it's something to think about.

I weigh the drawbacks of a dry chemical (mess after fire, compacting) with its benefits (residue continues to help suppress combustion, price).

Edit:
And now I find this, which says don't pound or shake (some) powder extinguishers:

??

Last edited:

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Did anyone cringe a bit at the last when he lit the pan of gas near the rear of the vehicle. It’s not normally gonna be a problem, there was a breeze, but it was said to be a hot day and Id think a firefighter would promote a more cautious attitude.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Did anyone cringe a bit at the last when he lit the pan of gas near the rear of the vehicle. It’s not normally gonna be a problem, there was a breeze, but it was said to be a hot day and Id think a firefighter would promote a more cautious attitude.
Man, I sure did! This was a Fire Marshall is what I think they said at the beginning! ooops if that extinguisher pushed the flames under the truck! :(

Tim stopped by today, I told him about this thread and about Loren H. and how CA banned them and he reminded me that everything in CA causes cancer... so that brought some reality and a good laugh !

How many dry chemical A, B , C type ext don't work because like in the video, the needle is on green but it still doesn't work??? Carry one E50 and two 5#'s and use the E50 first so if it works there's no clean up and if it doesn't you can hope that 1 of your 2 chemical ones do work????

Heck, both my 5# extinguishers on my gauge show green but they are both 10+ yrs old... my last 12 yr old one worked when needed.

Still debating whether to order one after watching all the videos today.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Sure appreciate the input on these. Was it that the operator couldn't get it to work or it didn't put out the fire or ? Thanks. Looking for something that wouldn't leave a total disaster but 1/3rd the cost. As I'm reviewing more possibilities I'm seeing that typical 5# A, B, C type extinguishes fail quite often also, with the needle in the green.

Makes it tougher to choose for sure.

thx

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Dry chemical extinguishers need tested and hydro’d every 12 years. My buddy that does it for a living says that’s not often enough. He does his personal ones every 5 but he is a paranoid retired fireman lol.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah, good reminder as I need to take mine in