• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lowest pressure for non beadlock Wheels

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They used a tire inflator that screwed into a spark plug hole. It had a check valve that let air in and on the intake and power stroke. And pumped on the compression stroke.
We used to call them “chuffers” if I remember.
Forgot if they had a real name, what it was.
Still have one in my under backseat storage box in the bronco.
Finally got closed down when purchased by the State Park when it got inundated by VW dune scooters. Too many and too much trash including pull tabs and broken bottles. Many used for target practice.
Has been happening everywhere, but especially around here I think. Been going on forever whenever you get more people wanting to have more fun and don’t care, or don’t think about their effect on others.
City folk…

Why do you think California has so many rules and regulations? More people per square inch…
Over a period of time, as people get closer together, you want them to stop pissing in your stream and dropping their unwanted stuff in your view. And cutting down trees and digging holes on your property. Burning rubbish under your bedroom window. Breaking-in your your new engine with no exhaust at midnight. Shooting in your general direction…
You know, city folk stuff! :)

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
I think i no it. Fla. No location in sig or @ avetar so just a guess.
I serviced an ol ford bent8 - 1 bank a 4 cyl, 4 stroke. Other bank
an air comressor. I think it was (like ‘coach built’) ford approved.

Too many questions in my #19 post? Needed a diversion?

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
that’s a good link, thank you. The best is - it shows an exploded diagram in the mini-link to google.
I hoped for more (may B there isnt) in the sales article it came from. I must not get it tho. Bolting a plate outside the wheel
does not seem to ‘pinch' the bead (between anything). That’s Y I thought a plate might be inside the tire. As I look at these it seems they
only do something to the outer part of wheel (not even tire). What abt the inner lip? Do these not tend to pop off the bead on the inside as well?

On our 8 sec drag car we drill the wheel rim, screw in sharp screws to grab the parameter of tire. They do not go in so far as to pierce entirely thru the tire (we run tubes as well). This is due to the enormous tq created (not 'loose a bead’). Tires are run 10# low on air as the heat of a pass expands tires. A different kind of force but 1 I can think thru easily.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
@chrisful this might help. this shows how the bead of the tire is pinched between the lip of the wheel and the outside ring that is bolted on. I can assure you that the tire does not slip. In the rock crawling competition world we put them on both sides of the wheel and run tire pressures as low as 3psi. having bound up a tire enough to break a 40 spline axle shaft the tire does not slip nor does it come off the bead.

1720013933823.png

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
best yet, thanks.
It seems from this diagram that the tire is not mounted ASOP, but to the outside of the rim. It
requires a ‘specific' wheel in combo to do this. I thought guys mounted to standard wheel. That may not B true.
1 assumption: loosening a bead is more apt to happen on otter edge. EXTREME crawl can ‘pop’ inner side tire beads as well...

Hope this has not side tracked OP & own Qs. I think I got it. (if buying - B sure wheel accepts bead lock). Thanks 2 one’n ALL~

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
best yet, thanks.
It seems from this diagram that the tire is not mounted ASOP, but to the outside of the rim. It
requires a ‘specific' wheel in combo to do this. I thought guys mounted to standard wheel. That may not B true.
1 assumption: loosening a bead is more apt to happen on otter edge. EXTREME crawl can ‘pop’ inner side tire beads as well...

Hope this has not side tracked OP & own Qs. I think I got it. (if buying - B sure wheel accepts bead lock). Thanks 2 one’n ALL~
your welcome! yes the wheel has to be designed for it. There are kits to weld the pieces to a steel wheel and there are companies that will weld the pieces to an aluminum wheel.

Yes inner beads can pop as well, especially with a bias ply tire, or extremely low pressures. The latest crop of 42" tires that use a 20" wheel leave plenty of space for a double bead lock, even so, only about 1/3 of the teams are doing it and the advantage vs cost seams to be low, but at the level they are competing 1 flat tire can ruin a season, those guys fiercely complete for every point, the 1st to 3rd (after the 3 podium spots who cares, unless you were 4th :ROFLMAO:) spread over a season is often less than 30 points and not finishing 1 coarse of the 25 they will run will cost 40 points. Its some fierce competition.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
been following the Baja (irregularly) 'each Thnxgiv' about 30 yrs. This is Not that.
A multi-purpose rig.
Altho noticed the bead lock for a decade never looked too deep. Am realizing “Its
nota street app.” Hopin curb is illegal anyway 8^ (
Aired down, 1/2 hr commute to garage, negativeo, unah, weekend? nother set of tires set up this way? Sure !
Ma Bell will hafta wait

Nothing Special

There are two things that are most likely to cause you to lose a bead, pushing the sidewall in and away from the bead or spinning the wheel in the tire. Locking either bead will get you essentially all the way there in preventing the wheel from slipping in the tire causing you to lose a bead, so a single bead lock is fine for that.

When you have the rig leaned over, almost all of the weight is on the downhill side, so pushing the outer sidewall in away from the bead on the lower tire is much more likely than pulling the inner sidewall away from the bead on the uphill tire, so the outer lock is much more important in that situation.

Yes, you can still lose an inside bead, but it makes sense that just locking the outer bead is usually enough.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Well described

As for street use its user be ware, the bolts need to be torque checked regularly, I’ve run 10’s of thousands of miles. As for legality, I won’t climb too deep into the mud, I’ll just say unless your state prohibits mechanical locking beads they are not illegal.

Last edited: