• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tire noise comparison in the same rig...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I just bought another set... this is the FIRST time since 1976 that I haven't upgrade in diameter. I don't snow wheel as much anymore so there's my reasoning (all my wheeling buddies keep moving out of town to get a job- wth??) lol

I am wondering how much louder these will be compared to my MTR's that I've been running "forever".

So I love doing data stuff and trying to help out so I'm going to record my db reading at 4 or 5 different mph's on the same road in the same rig going the same direction in the same gear (rpm too).

I will compare my 40" GY, MTR's and my new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T's after I get over covid and a couple short trips.

I know it's not an identical comparison because the GY's are half worn out but you can buy me a set so then it would be legit! :)

Attachments

• 20240703_154130.jpg
    20240703_154130.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240703_154833.jpg
    20240703_154833.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 49

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do those new tires have an inside and outside designation?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yup, I'll get a pic

Attachments

• 20240706_103617.jpg
    20240706_103617.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 36

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Interesting design….will be nice to see how they compare. Do they say if they are a directional tire or not? The outside lugs run opposite so ya wouldn’t think it would matter?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Asymmetrical and the outside is labeled but doesn't mean I can't rotate them.

I like the smaller lugs in the middle for biting. More the better for snow. Big lugs on compact snow/ice is like running tractor tires!

Reminds me of the song by Paul Simon "Slip Sliding away"... lol

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah, totally inderstand that.

If all we did was get towed to a trail and not drive for hours at 70mph at a time...

This is really just gonna be a "oh, interesting db level" test. lol

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Get it done before I order some replacement 33’s for the J Truck 😂

Just due to my disdain for BFG and their lack of grassroots support beyond desert racing, it will probably wind up with a set of Kenda RT’s, the only non MT besides BFG in a 33x10.50/15. Yes it is getting down graded from 12.50’s hope I don’t hate it lol.

eb-nutt1

Get it done before I order some replacement 33’s for the J Truck 😂

Just due to my disdain for BFG and their lack of grassroots support beyond desert racing, it will probably wind up with a set of Kenda RT’s, the only non MT besides BFG in a 33x10.50/15. Yes it is getting down graded from 12.50’s hope I don’t hate it lol.
Did maxxis quit making the razr m/t in a 33x10.50-15? I just mounted a set on factory slots for my uncut build, but I bought them in 21 and had n storage.

Brian

carter2772

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
I miss the days when people still built Broncos and didn't just restore them. Awesome rig.
Some of us still are. my first bronco I bought in high school (green avatar pic, purchased in 97) is completely torn apart and going back together. Streched the front and rear axle 4 inches each (forward and aft) .... axles built with lockers, gears, chomoly, to handle 40's. Everything underneath, inside the tub, and engine bay will look new, but keeping the original paint, scratches, scrapes and going to clear it with Vice Grip Garages sauce.

But i undersand what you mean, ive been involved with 200k + builds, and i honestly would rather have one that has soul, not just new fancy parts bolted on. They are just cookie cutter broncos imo. Impressive, just not my style.

Bryan is a perfect example for this. The two broncos he has are neither just a stock-ish restored bronco.

Technically this is my 2nd thread hyjack in this actual thread, all in one day! Youre welcome Bryan ! :ROFLMAO: ;)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
More than just some I think. The majority of EBs in our local club get built and used.
its regional. west of the Rockies, most definitely, lots being built to use. east of the Rockies, less, get to the NE and deep SE very few are built to be used, there are notable exceptions. The volume of stock restorations in the NE is amazing.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The events reflect that too. Super Cell east is 100% car show and on road cruises, with maybe a run to a pay park somewhere close. When it rains lots of them leave due to you can't get it wet or potentially drive in the mud on the show field. The Carson City and Colorado events are more about wheeling and less about the show. Haven't been to the WI event, not sure the environment but I'm assuming similar to the TN event. Nothing wrong with any of it, just part of the cultural differences across the country. I think part of the success of the TN event is people stay, hang out, make friends, spend money with vendors, those are the priorities with some attention to the area, the relationships really drive the returning attendies, exactly why I have been several times. The west events are more about enjoying the surroundings.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
its regional. west of the Rockies, most definitely, lots being built to use. east of the Rockies, less, get to the NE and deep SE very few are built to be used, there are notable exceptions. The volume of stock restorations in the NE is amazing.
Access to places to wheel is the reason for a lot of this. There is not much access to wheeling spots in the east, so people build the broncos to drive on the street and look pretty in shows because that is what we can do. Yes there are exceptions as I have seen some crazy capable rigs built to wheel in our area. I always kind of walked the line with my 67. Yeah I could take it to a show but I wasnt afraid to dive it in the rocks or in the mud. I always enjoyed wheeling it more that show and shine. I have the dents and scratches to prove it. But because the closest place to legally wheel is almost 4 hours away I just got burnt out. And the cost to do it got crazy, $100 worth of diesel in the tow rig, $50 per person to get park access, then we typically stayed in a hotel for one night $175 at least, plus food, and fuel in the bronco it was taking at least $500 each time I wheeled! I go maybe once a year anymore and hardly even drive the bronco at all besides that.
You guys out west are lucky with the many options for places to go!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Access to places to wheel is the reason for a lot of this. There is not much access to wheeling spots in the east, so people build the broncos to drive on the street and look pretty in shows because that is what we can do. Yes there are exceptions as I have seen some crazy capable rigs built to wheel in our area. I always kind of walked the line with my 67. Yeah I could take it to a show but I wasnt afraid to dive it in the rocks or in the mud. I always enjoyed wheeling it more that show and shine. I have the dents and scratches to prove it. But because the closest place to legally wheel is almost 4 hours away I just got burnt out. And the cost to do it got crazy, $100 worth of diesel in the tow rig, $50 per person to get park access, then we typically stayed in a hotel for one night $175 at least, plus food, and fuel in the bronco it was taking at least $500 each time I wheeled! I go maybe once a year anymore and hardly even drive the bronco at all besides that.
You guys out west are lucky with the many options for places to go!
You are 100% correct. make it $700 and I can go someplace cool that I can actually go somewhere and see some neat things. I get burned out on parks fast, I love beating on stuff but the older I get the more I want to see what's around that bend, over that hill, and down in the valley. to do that it is almost mandatory that I go west a minimum of 500 miles or east 150-400 miles and that is still limited to forest service roads that are typically short, also you get into the locals thinking they own it and treat you like they do, more than once I've been harassed to the point it was not fun and I was not in the wrong, I don't like going places where you feel like you are walking up to the OK Corral, it is supposed to be relaxing and fun.

Man we've crawled a long way from tire noise :ROFLMAO:

back on track, the Maxxis Razr MT's on my bronco are fairly quiet at 25psi, at 10psi they rather growly LOL. As for tire noise the 2 quietest tires I've ran on my bronco have been Mastercraft MXT and BFG KM3's. KM3's were the quietest, even aired down they were not overly loud. Loudest were Maxxis sticky Trepadors and some ancient Goodyear MTR's.

Last edited: