• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

help

treiner1977

I need some advise. I'm a truck guy, my boss decided we are restoring a 77 bronco sport. We have went with a blue print 302, aod, and atlas 2 transfer case. I cannot for the life of me figure this set up out. need a little instruction. have new body new axles new everything except frame, which was sand blasted and powered coated, my issue is crossmember location and mounts. the tunnel isn't high enough to clear transfer case if i ever get it mounted properly. I'm a d+ fabricator. figure a body lift will come into play. i woud prefer not because it already has 3.5" suspension lift, does anybody have this set up. I didn't pick it i just have to make it work will be a pavement princess when finished.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m pretty sure that even without the big transfer case, the transmission alone has a hard time fitting under the stock tunnel without either modifying the tunnel, or at least a 1 inch body lift.
Most of us do the 1 inch body lift just to make more room. I can’t say with hundred percent certainty that it is an absolute requirement. It just makes life easier.
Don’t know about the Atlas, but a lot of members here have done it. So you should be getting some more helpful answers shortly.

And welcome! Broncos are a pain in the rear end, putting stuff together. Less room to maneuver than a full-size truck, and some inconsistencies that you might run into.
And we don’t know how the body was made and other things like that. So best of luck!
Pretty sure you came to the right place though. 😉😁

Bruners4

Loc.
1/2 way to everywhere
So... I have about the same configuration as you are working on. A 1" body lift is a must. Without the Ford EFI and intake you should be fine on hood clearance. I had to modify the under hood structure to keep the stock steel hood and fit the Explorer EFI. There are a couple of aftermarket cross members to hold the 4R70W/Atlas combo in the frame. One gotcha with the Atlas is no room for exhaust on the driver's side. This thread might be helpful.

OP
OP
T

treiner1977

So... I have about the same configuration as you are working on. A 1" body lift is a must. Without the Ford EFI and intake you should be fine on hood clearance. I had to modify the under hood structure to keep the stock steel hood and fit the Explorer EFI. There are a couple of aftermarket cross members to hold the 4R70W/Atlas combo in the frame. One gotcha with the Atlas is no room for exhaust on the driver's side. This thread might be helpful.
[/URL]
Thank you, I have the Tom's already, they did the axles and such, primarily tom's every where, minus the wild horses lift. i will still need to modify the crossmember, i have a fab guy i just need fitment issues resolved i guess 1" body is coming. I also ran into my electric fans being to close to the cvf pulley set up, but think i figured that out thank you again for your time.

OP
OP
T

treiner1977

I’m pretty sure that even without the big transfer case, the transmission alone has a hard time fitting under the stock tunnel without either modifying the tunnel, or at least a 1 inch body lift.
Most of us do the 1 inch body lift just to make more room. I can’t say with hundred percent certainty that it is an absolute requirement. It just makes life easier.
Don’t know about the Atlas, but a lot of members here have done it. So you should be getting some more helpful answers shortly.

And welcome! Broncos are a pain in the rear end, putting stuff together. Less room to maneuver than a full-size truck, and some inconsistencies that you might run into.
And we don’t know how the body was made and other things like that. So best of luck!
Pretty sure you came to the right place though. 😉😁
lift in my future, thank you for our time!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you’re basically starting for scratch, don’t overlook the engine and transmission angle, as part of your fitment exercise. Along with lots of other things!
Do you still have the original holes in the frame for the original crossmember? You can use those as guides but I can’t remember how many are able to utilize those versus having to drill new ones.
The engine can only tilt back so far before it hits the firewall, but being able to tilt it down a little will help with driveline angles and body clearance for the transmission and transfer case.
So there’s that.
But you’re never going to NOT run afoul of clearance in the front of the engine.
Originally there was minimal fan, and minimal radiator, still with minimal space in between.
Unless your CVF system is super compact, any reasonable electric (or mechanical) fan is not gonna fit. Not easily anyway. As you’re finding out.
Sounds like you have two, so hopefully they are slimmer than normal and still offer good performance, because it’s gonna take a lot to keep things cool. Usually more than normal due to airflow restrictions.
At least it seems like airflow limitations with Broncos. It’s also a combination of engine tuning, and other factors as well. But usually after a new build, you still have to work out the kinks with engine temperatures.