• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BRONGO build thread

ratbilt

Contributor
Very nice build, love the fender flares, bumpers & color.
I've been working on mine for 1 1/2 years now (under 68 1/2 cab retro build by ratbilt) Rich

Attachments

• IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
mehal

mehal

Contributor
Thanks Rich. I just looked at your build thread and that truck is awesome.

We did a lot of similar things, but my fabrication skills pale in comparison to yours and you are way ahead of me with the amount/quality of fab work you did.

I wish I had taken more pics along the way, but I had a hard enough time just putting in the hours needed to get it done. I'm wrapping up the interior and fixing some minor issues with leaks and heat (exhaust is close to floor), but its fun driving her around and seeing people gawk. You'll have the same experience soon enough !

I'm really impressed with your build and have subscribed to your thread. - Mike

mustanggarage

Contributor
I really like those bumpers. I couldn't find any I liked as well as stock, but that looks great

OP
OP
mehal

mehal

Contributor
Thanks, the bumpers were from Cal Creations, but I modified them to fit/look better (to my tastes).

PS - I am into Mustangs (and all Fords in general) too!! www.holyrollers.me

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks Rich. I just looked at your build thread and that truck is awesome.

We did a lot of similar things, but my fabrication skills pale in comparison to yours and you are way ahead of me with the amount/quality of fab work you did.

I wish I had taken more pics along the way, but I had a hard enough time just putting in the hours needed to get it done. I'm wrapping up the interior and fixing some minor issues with leaks and heat (exhaust is close to floor), but its fun driving her around and seeing people gawk. You'll have the same experience soon enough !

I'm really impressed with your build and have subscribed to your thread. - Mike

Where's the most recent pics..? :)

OP
OP
mehal

mehal

Contributor
Working through a lot of bugs this summer (overheating, EFI, Hydro-boost, exhaust melting everything, etc, etc) but its almost done. Here's the latest pics...

Attachments

• Front_driv.jpg
    Front_driv.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Front_grill.jpg
    Front_grill.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Rear_pass.jpg
    Rear_pass.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Rear_susp.jpg
    Rear_susp.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 49
  • Front_pass.jpg
    Front_pass.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
mehal

mehal

Contributor
Interior pics

Attachments

• IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2494.jpeg
    IMG_2494.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
OP
OP
mehal

mehal

Contributor
suspension

Attachments

• IMG_2488.jpeg
    IMG_2488.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2490.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2491.jpeg
    IMG_2491.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 24

TX73Bronco

Loc.
Denver
I am just getting ready to pull the body off mine and have been debating chemical stripping or sand blast. You mentioned you wish you had waited to sand blast and prime, how would you do that part now with all this knowledge? My body will be dropped onto a custom chassis, what recommendations for things I need to have on hand to help this swap be painless as possible?

love your build, thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
mehal

mehal

Contributor
I am just getting ready to pull the body off mine and have been debating chemical stripping or sand blast. You mentioned you wish you had waited to sand blast and prime, how would you do that part now with all this knowledge? My body will be dropped onto a custom chassis, what recommendations for things I need to have on hand to help this swap be painless as possible?

love your build, thanks for sharing!
I would media blast given the choice. There are some new water based blasting solutions that keep the heat down or maybe use some light media like walnut shells or something else that doesn't put too much strain/heat into the metal. The only reason I wish I had waited is that some surface rust started before I was ready for primer. So I would say as soon as you have it stripped, neutralize whatever media was used (dawn dishwasher detergent works great) and epoxy prime it right away. It's better to sand off the primer later if you still need to weld/fabriacte on an area than to have it start to rust.

I've had a car dipped before to have it chemically stripped but some of the chemicals seeped out of the cracks a few weeks/months later and started rusting. If the stripper is good, they should neutralize it better, but sometimes they don't catch everything.

OP
OP
mehal

mehal

Contributor
Check out the SPI user forums for lots of good info on paint and body work. You may have to search around a bit, but this is a forum of mostly hands-on hobbyists along with some experts and pros. SPI products are some of the best you can get.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php