• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inherited 1971 Bronco. What now?

ThornTree

Hi all, big newbie here. I inherited a 1971 Bronco from my grandfather about 6 years ago, but I was not in a position to do anything with it. For the last 4 or 5 years of his life, he was immobile and so the Bronco sat in a barn in Tennessee. About 6 months ago, I decided it was time to get it moved to my home in Washington, but I couldn't find a transporter who would get it from the barn it was in. So, I found a family friend who was able to get the Bronco running so it could be driven a few miles down the road to be picked up. He replaced the fuel tank and fuel lines and cleaned the carburetor as well as some other replacements just to get it running consistently.

Now, I have the truck at my own home, and I'm not sure what to do next with it. I think I want to keep it for now and get it into drivable shape (which is what I think my grandfather wanted me to do as well), but I'm not sure what a good starting place is. I can turn a wrench, but my background is mostly in electronics (previously MECP advanced certified).

What's the first thing you'd do to make it more drivable? I appreciate any advice or well wishes for this journey.
PXL_20240711_001100325.jpg
PXL_20240711_001113060.jpg
PXL_20240711_001145132.MP.jpg

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Welcome aboard!!! You're a lucky man to inherit a Bronco that looks that nice!!! Everybody on this site wishes for a gift like that!!!
Like okie said, clean it up, drive it (locally) and learn all about it!!! And as he said think about your grandpa as you drive it!!!:):):)

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Other than checking the brakes and doing an oil change, check the radiator fluid, I’d just drive it until you decide you WANT to do some upgrade(s). Very nice inheritance!!

Randy

OP
OP
T

ThornTree

Other than checking the brakes and doing an oil change, check the radiator fluid, I’d just drive it until you decide you WANT to do some upgrade(s). Very nice inheritance!!

Randy
Thanks! The brakes feel pretty awful to be honest, but I'm considering a conversion to disc brakes so I can get powered brakes. I'm not really used to not having them and it feels like an easy way to make it feel safer and more comfortable to drive. And the parking brake isn't working AT ALL so I guess that's on the list.

Kbpony

Thanks! The brakes feel pretty awful to be honest, but I'm considering a conversion to disc brakes so I can get powered brakes. I'm not really used to not having them and it feels like an easy way to make it feel safer and more comfortable to drive. And the parking brake isn't working AT ALL so I guess that's on the list.
You could add power brakes without doing a disc conversion, would make it a bit simpler. If they currently feel aweful, I would first look for the problem and fix it. Then again, a lot depends on your budget. You could start over with a complete kit from one of the vendors.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ran power drums on my '71 axle for years. I did upgrade to the GM front disc kit. I haven't been in a situation where I find it stops any better yet.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
To start:
Familiarize yourself with the three on the tree! Personally, I love this style of shifting but I grew up with it!
Go through the brakes. Do some research on how to adjust drum brakes. If that's a bit out of your wheel house, take it to a shop.
Wheel bearings
Check the tires. Date codes are important since it sat for the last ten years or so, they should be replaced
Oil and filter change
flush radiator

Then inspect and replace if needed (I would do this regardless of how things look just to get a date associated with the service).

New air cleaner
Plugs
Cap, rotor and points (I would throw a Pertronix module in but that's just me)
Sparkplug wires

Have fun and I agree with Oakie, think about your grandpa every time you drive it! Very special gift indeed!

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Welcome to the forum and that's a pretty incredible inheritance gift of a bronco! I would do nothing to it other than make it safe to drive, clean it up and think about your grandpa every time you drive it.
^^^This^^^
What an awesome gift! Any mechanical you need will be found here on this forum.

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Congratulations on inheriting such a cool ride!

I agree with what others have mentioned…address any safety related concerns as the top priority.

Regarding the brakes: it’s hard to tell when looking at your photos on my phone, but from the photo, it seems the output at the front reservoir on the brake master cylinder might be capped off. This could mean you have no line feeding 50% of your brakes. If it's the smaller of the two reservoirs, it is likely the line meant for the rear brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bmbm

That is good to read about regarding an inherited Bronco. Did your grandfather buy it new? Could not open the pics but probably a problem on my end. Look forward to hearing more.