• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Protecting yourself from out of state bronco purchase?

Got4wd

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
I’m starting the processing of purchasing a bronco. It is out of state. 1700 miles. Seller has been very open and sends all pics etc that I have asked. I don’t see it as a scam, but is there a company that you send money to and once I have vehicle in my possession the money is released to seller? I have a hard time wiring money to someone I don’t know. Is there other options that are safe minus flying there and doing it in person? My gut says fly there and trailer it home.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
My personal opinion is that if I'm spending a significant amount of money on a vehicle, especially a used vehicle, I want to see it in person. Poor body work and rust can be hidden pretty easily when all you have is photos. I'm sure you could get a broker, but I don't have any experience with that. I'm sure someone on here can give you some help with that though. Good luck with the purchase! I hope it all works out...

Contributor
Find a local shop that has good reviews and works on classics and see if the seller will take it there for an inspection. Also if there isn’t a place close maybe there is a knowledgeable forum member that would take a look for you.

OP
OP
Got4wd

Got4wd

Contributor
Loc.
Texas
I’m not worried about having it inspected or hidden rust. It’s an original paint bronco. Maybe I can give a member here money for their time etc to go out eyes on it.

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
@Got4wd

where is it? If around Raleigh, I’d be happy to help you out. Rest assured I won’t snake it from you as I have 3 already and I’d have to sleep in it if my wife saw a 4th on my trailer!!! (lol)

serious offer though.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
My 2c Trust your gut..... save the drama of an inspector, escrow, and transporter, do the deal in person.....

Oh, not a bad idea to do a comprehensive web search on the seller (if he's wearing sandals and socks run. If you know, you know).

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Given current Bronco prices, I suspect it is a sizeable ($$) purchase. My only advise to you is to go see it in person and complete the transaction.

That emotion that comes over you when you watch the vehicle get unloaded from the transport and it looks nothing like the pictures they selected to show you... Is nothing you want to experience.

And I say this because I experienced that feeling on the very first Early Bronco I purchased over 20 yrs ago...

fluffybunny

Contributor
Pony up the funds to go put eyes on it. A few months back, I met a guy who paid nearly $70k for a Bronco from a "reputable" Bronco reseller in FLA. When it arrived, it had no tie rod and missing a few more components.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
+1 for going to see it. Maybe offer a deposit if you know you want it so it isn't sold while you're arranging if you want, but it's gotta feel right.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Yup go see it in person! I bought a bronco years ago from a friend/ business associate. Sent a bunch of pictures even a video. And it looked good. It was in Iowa I am in Maryland so I bought it and had it shipped to me. When it arrived and was off loaded my heart sank. I could sink a pen knife to the handle in the side body seam. Those few little rust spots turned out to be about 50% of the truck. Nothing beats seeing it in person.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Personally, I'd fly out and see it and meet the seller before handing over a dime. You like it, do all the paperwork right there and take it (paperwork) with you. Just me though...

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I’m reminded of an old saying: “Don’t buy a pig in a poke.” I’ll be happy to explain to those who are not familiar with farming.

Randy

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
For those who are better at navigating this site than I am... Is there a sticky somewhere that shows all the usual problem areas on a early Bronco? I know rockers, inner fenders, door posts from in the wheel well, floor pans, etc. But if there is something with pics of where to look that are always known problem areas, and how to spot shoddy work, I think that would help a ton of potential new owner prospects on what to look for if they don't know what to look for. I'm thinking pics of what "good original" looks like beside what "bad/masked problems" looks like for all the normal areas where problems arise. It probably is already out there somewhere, but my quick look didn't find it. Not saying the OP needs it, I just think it should be something easy to find here on the best EB site on the planet. Maybe a Tech Article?

Last edited:

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
I’m starting the processing of purchasing a bronco. It is out of state. 1700 miles. Seller has been very open and sends all pics etc that I have asked. I don’t see it as a scam, but is there a company that you send money to and once I have vehicle in my possession the money is released to seller? I have a hard time wiring money to someone I don’t know. Is there other options that are safe minus flying there and doing it in person? My gut says fly there and trailer it home.
I used escrow.com for a transaction where I was buying from across the country and it well.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I can't begin to tell you how many broncos have come to my shop where purchasers got a "great deal" on ebay only to be hit with the reality of covered up rust and shoddy back yard mechanic work. If you aren't actually looking at it, have a professional inspect it. Better yet, buy locally.

papy

Contributor
it will cost you less to jump on a plane now than to deal with the non disclosures later
m2c
JP

steelworker77

Contributor
My wife and I bought our first Bronco in March. I found it on marketplace and it turned out to be for sale from a legit Bronco Restoration shop in Ohio. They sell alot of high end bronco's so I figured I would be in good hands. I couldnt get the time to go out and see it in person and they sent me a ton of well thought out photos that hid alot of stuff and also flat out lied about previously done body work as well as things flat out not working. They shipped it to me and as soon as it got unloaded I was in shock. In the end I over paid and wish I would have made the trip as I would not have made the purchase. Lesson learned. I cant recommend enough to go see it in person.