• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Replacing C4 pan gasket torque spec question

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am installing the new cork gasket on my C4 pan. My Hayes manual says torque the bolts 12 to 16 ft lbs. I have my set at 10 ft lbs to start as this was suggested by the few YouTube videos I watched.

The problem I'm having is my cork gasket is starting to squeeze out all around, and I haven't even hit the torque - click click point yet. From the videos I watched, if done correctly my gasket is not supposed to start squeezing out. Like this shouldn't happen. It's supposed to be a clean edge around the pan. I made sure to hammer flat the pan rail, and used a straight-edge to confirm. I'm nervous that I need to stop torquing, even though I haven't hit the 10 ft lbs.

Should I back the bolts out a little now that the cork is curling/squeezing out?
Should I keep torquing till it hits the setting?
Should I leave it alone at this point?

Thanks,

Panicked in MT

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I don’t use a torque wrench with cork gaskets. I always tighten the bolts until the gasket just starts to squeeze out, then fill it, drive it for a week or so, and check to make sure they are still snug. Cork gaskets will swell when soaked with fluid. That helps with sealing.

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don’t use a torque wrench with cork gaskets. I always tighten the bolts until the gasket just starts to squeeze out, then fill it, drive it for a week or so, and check to make sure they are still snug. Cork gaskets will swell when soaked with fluid. That helps with sealing.
This is what works for me also.

markatherton

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
use the high dollar gaske from wh and the pan stiffeners from jeffs.

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Thanks Slowleak, and everyone else, I really appreciate all of the support. I did get my gasket from WH, but I don't know if it's their high dollar one. We'll see how it goes :)

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it possible your torque wrench is off also?

Yeah, always a possibility. Mine is in inch pounds, which I calculated to ft pounds. I used the Inch pounds mark at 115 plus the 5 mark on the ring, which should total 120 inch pounds, which should convert to 10 ft pounds.

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How many quarts of fluid should I add before I can start the engine? I've added 3 quarts so far. I don't know if it's safe to start the truck yet. Of course I can't test with the dip-stick unless the engine is hot, and yet I don't want to over fill with too much either.

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How many quarts of fluid should I add before I can start the engine? I've added 3 quarts so far. I don't know if it's safe to start the truck yet. Of course I can't test with the dip-stick unless the engine is hot, and yet I don't want to over fill with too much either.

FYI, I checked the manual and it explains how to add fluid until it registers on the tip of the dip-stick. It says in most cases this is 4 to 5 pints. Once it registers on the tip I can safely start the engine, idle for 2 minutes, then foot on the brake I shift thru the gears, then repeat the check.

I should have checked the manual before bothering y'all. :)