• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tom's disc brake conversion - calipers hitting wheels?

LiveFromNY

Loc.
Austin, TX
So I ordered the complete 4-wheel disc kit from Toms. Got done with the rears today, bolted on the wheels, and the calipers are hitting the inside of the factory 15" wheels. No idea if I'm going to have this problem on the front as well.

I asked about this when I ordered and was told that the calipers would fit fine under the factory wheels.

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY

Loc.
Austin, TX
Apparently, they're required for YOURS. The alternatives are:
1) put the drums back on.
2) grind the calipers (not the safest thing to do).
3) try different (larger?) rims.

Let me ask my question more specifically to save all of us some time...

Has anyone here installed this specific kit (or the same/similar parts) with the factory 15" wheels? If so, did you have the same issue with your rear calipers hitting the wheels?

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
I think one of the questions should be " Did you get the right kit, since they make it for 10" Drum & 11" Drum "

And for what it is worth, if this is for you '74, why did'nt you opt for the Explorer Disc Brake Setup (since it is a straight bolt - on, no mods, no extra brackets for '74 -'75)

Fitz24

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used the rear kit from Tom's. I have 16" wheels but remember that there are different thickness of spacers that had to be used to line up the caliper on the brackets. I don't remember just what they did but do remember having to take mine back apart and use a different combination of spacers to line things up.

OP
OP
LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY

Loc.
Austin, TX
Thanks guys. I've come upon the same two possibilities as well.

I ordered the 11" drum setup. We pulled the drums and measured before we ordered. We could have made a mistake but pretty sure we didn't.

The bearing retainer plate may be the culprit. Not sure if we switched them or not. There were a lot of parts in the shop and they may have been sitting with the front disc kit. I'll check in the AM.

The wheel wasn't even close to fitting. How much difference is there in those plates?

Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY

Loc.
Austin, TX
OK. I've double checked and I did order the right kit. The interior of my drums is 11".

When I ordered the kit, I also ordered the suggested bearing retainer plates:

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product.php?category=67&id=1412

My buddy said that we used these but that we also used the original retainer plate? The new retainer plates were installed outboard of the caliper holding plate and with the rotor bolted to the axle the caliper lines up perfect to the rotor.

I can't see how any of this changes the perspective between the caliper and the bub of the rotor which is the problem. If the caliper cannot sit further back, then it isn't going to clear the wheel and I can't see how moving the caliper further back is possible.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
sounds to me like you dont have things installed in the right order. your discription of the bearing retainer plate being installed outboard of the caliper bracket and using the original with the hd plate seems to comfirm that you really dont know what the hell you are doing. if all else fails then read the instructions that came with the kit till you understand them. a picture is worth a thousand words so post a pic of how things were installed and maybe someone can give you the answer you need.

OP
OP
LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY

Loc.
Austin, TX
sounds to me like you dont have things installed in the right order. your discription of the bearing retainer plate being installed outboard of the caliper bracket and using the original with the hd plate seems to comfirm that you really dont know what the hell you are doing. if all else fails then read the instructions that came with the kit till you understand them. a picture is worth a thousand words so post a pic of how things were installed and maybe someone can give you the answer you need.

I never ceases to amaze me that for every forum full of great people, there always has to be a jackass. What wrong? Mommy didn't hug you enough?

I agree that we need to look at the plate issue. That's why I mentioned it. But, regardless, I can't see how that issue is gong to effect the perspective between the rotor and the caliper. The caliper is very close to the rotor. But I need the caliper to sit further back in relation to the rotor so that the wheel will bolt down without hitting the caliper.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY

Loc.
Austin, TX
Here's a few photos. The finger is pointing to the specific point where the caliper hits the wheel and prevents the wheel from bolting all the way down.

As you can see, the caliper is only hitting the inner part of the wheel. In other words, the wheel will fit over the caliper, but it won't bolt down all the way or spin because the very outside edge of the caliper is just touching the wheel where it narrows.

caliper2.jpg

caliper1.jpg

caliper3.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just a hunch and no help for your problem, but...I'd bet a fiver that you are the first person that did that rear disk conversion (or any rear disk conversion for that matter) and still are using stock rims.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
In re-reading your original post, I wonder if the person you spoke with who told you they would fit under factory wheels was simply implying that the kit would fit under 15" rims. Most 15" rims that are on Broncos these days are not two piece like the originals that you are still running. After all, most people that upgrade to rear discs aren't running the factory two piece rims. The representative at Tom's may have had no idea about the two piece stock rims. Just a theory.

Edit: bmc types faster than I do :p

OP
OP
LiveFromNY

LiveFromNY

Loc.
Austin, TX
Just a hunch and no help for your problem, but...I'd bet a fiver that you are the first person that did that rear disk conversion (or any rear disk conversion for that matter) and still are using stock rims.

Too funny. You may be right. Trying to make it as comfortable as possible while still looking stock.

I'm wondering if some different wheels would help. Maybe some disc brake wheels that don't have the inset? Stock wheels with my hubcaps, of course.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm wondering if some different wheels would help. Maybe some disc brake wheels that don't have the inset? Stock wheels with my hubcaps, of course.

Of course different wheels would help..ones without the lip, which is any/all alloy rims and most aftermarket steelies too. But you need to find a 'stock' type without that lip..good luck.

Yep..since the factory drum brakes are quite adequate for stock wheels and tires, you are probably one of the first that 'upgraded' to rear disks while keeping the stockers.

techlaf

Contributor
Spacers may fix one problem and create another. If this is going on a uncut stocker, you may be pushing the wheels out too far to where you would be making contact with the inside lip of the quarter panel.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Has anyone here installed this specific kit (or the same/similar parts) with the factory 15" wheels?
It now appears the answer to this question is "no", so you're right back to those 3 options. New rims is the most expensive choice, but also the best. If you can keep them 15", you won't have to buy new tires.

...and you're right: anything to do with the bearings has nothing to do with that clearance. It's strictly caliper-rotor-rim.