• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hot Rod Flatz Paint ??

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
Anyone use Hot Rod Flatz paint on their EB or I guess any project? I am getting close to ordering paint, and I think I am leaning toward their paint... Anyone have pics of projects with that paint?

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/ksflatz.aspx

Couple pics I have found of hot rod flatz paint

THEMCarShow_023.jpg

518208695_qkZ6R-L.jpg

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Both of those colors look killer flatted out! My only question with something like that is what is it like to maintain? Otherwise I say go for it.

inthmtns

Loc.
Martinsdale, MT
I have flat black paint on my 1978 F150, It looked AWESOME when it was freshly painted...

Add mud, dust, snow and insects? .... not so cool, there is always a streaks or stains where the mud/bugs were.
Maybe its the brand of paint we used, but it never looks 'clean' anymore, and putting any kind of wax/protectant on it leaves a white residue that has to wear off.

Does anyone have an idea how to seal the flat paint?

If not, I'm going to have it repainted with gloss paint.

Last edited:

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does anyone know how tc globals paint quality compares to dupont and ppg?

Sporto

I used it on a Jeep CJ last year. It worked out okay. I am not a professional painter so I am sure in the right hands it would have been a lot better. The paint hardens quickly and it looks pretty consistent when shot with a LPHV system in a novice's hands. Here is a picture. Keep in mind that the hard doors were NOT painted by me, just tub and front clip. %)

I know that its a Jeep on here, sorry for that. ;D

Rich

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 372
OP
OP
carter2772

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa

What brand of paint did you use? Does it have UV protectant in it? Is is base coat clear coat?

I am pretty sure you can shoot clear over pretty much anything. Pretty much skuff, prep, shoot.. There is diffent clears now too, flat, semi, and gloss etc....

OP
OP
carter2772

carter2772

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Camano Island, Wa
I used it on a Jeep CJ last year. It worked out okay. I am not a professional painter so I am sure in the right hands it would have been a lot better. The paint hardens quickly and it looks pretty consistent when shot with a LPHV system in a novice's hands. Here is a picture. Keep in mind that the hard doors were NOT painted by me, just tub and front clip. %)

I know that its a Jeep on here, sorry for that. ;D

Rich

You used Hot Rod Flatz brand? How does it hold up to dirt? Does it act like normal paint on everyday cars? Does it seem to collect dust more( I have heard people say it seems more pouris)?

Sporto

You used Hot Rod Flatz brand? How does it hold up to dirt? Does it act like normal paint on everyday cars? Does it seem to collect dust more( I have heard people say it seems more pouris)?

Yes,
I used the Hot Rod Flatz black. I am not sure how it holds up on dirt, it was my friend's Jeep and he took it back to VA. However it painted like an activated enamel. Setup really fast and got hard in less than half an hour or so. It did not act like primer. It is just a basic enamel with a flattening agent in it to make it look like primer. In the right hands it should look really sharp.

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
I bought a pair of new Wildhorses doors off of a guy who had them sprayed in flatz. I have one mounted on my EB while I am installing a new bedside. The only thing I can say is it chips really easy. I would never use this as a finish coat on anything I own. Being in the bodyshop business for 30 years, trust me when I say that flattener will kill the durability of any brand of paint. Here is a pic of one of the doors. The color is ok, but I think I could scratch it off with a penny. And it was done by a professional bodyshop in Kansas.

Attachments

• 08-10-13 003.jpg
    08-10-13 003.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 153

u10072

Bronco Guru
My take on flat paint is that yes it does have a cool unique sleek look-- it's really about as practical as a pair of "sexy heels" that hurt a womans foot-- sexy to look at but not worth a damn if you actually wanna walk anywhere

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I have flat black paint on my 1978 F150, It looked AWESOME when it was freshly painted...

Add mud, dust, snow and insects? .... not so cool, there is always a streaks or stains where the mud/bugs were.
Maybe its the brand of paint we used, but it never looks 'clean' anymore, and putting any kind of wax/protectant on it leaves a white residue that has to wear off.

If not, I'm going to have it repainted with gloss paint.

You can buy wax that is tinted black

I use It on my black 04 expedition
Think it's from turtlewax

Letsgocrawling

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson Az.
Most folks won't go with it, but I do---even thought of doing the same thing for wt's makeover---to like it you have to be a smoothy kind of guy.
mark