• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build Thread - $100 Half Cab Soft Top

drock

Like several others, I've been interested in a half cab soft top for awhile now. I also really like the BC Broncos soft top. Since they don't produce a half cab (yet) I figured I would just build my own. I also thought I would try to build it with only simple tools and fairly inexpensive so that the "normal" guy could build one if he wanted to. I just got started this afternoon but I thought I would post a few pictures of the build in case someone else wants to follow suit.

So far I have about $40 in metal/materials for the frame and $35 in Top Gun fabric (the same stuff that BC uses on their soft tops). My wife owns a sewing machine but I will most likely pay a professional to actually make the soft top itself.

Attachments

• Half Cab Soft Top 032.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top 032.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 210
  • Half Cab Soft Top 034.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top 034.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 200
  • Half Cab Soft Top 036.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top 036.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
OP
OP
drock

drock

Hundred Dollar Half Cab Soft Top

I started by bending a 10ft piece of 1/2 electrical conduit ($1.99 at my local hardware store) for the main hoop of the frame. The rest of the frame will be made with 3/4" square aluminum tubing simply because I find it easier to work with flat surfaces. In the next few days I'll finish up the frame.

Attachments

• Half Cab Soft Top 026.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top 026.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 390
  • Half Cab Soft Top 006.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top 006.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Half Cab Soft Top 028.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top 028.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Half Cab Soft Top 015.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top 015.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 337
  • Half Cab Soft Top 024.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top 024.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 317
  • Half Cab Soft Top 002.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top 002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 327

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. Nice Job .. Since your just getting started Let me offer one tip. If you tall you may want to locate the back of the top back about 3 or 4 more inches. I have a real Half and I'm not a tall guy but I sure wish I COULD PUSH MY SEAT BACK A COUPLE of inches.
This is the no.1 issues I see with my Half cab. I've even thought that the Home made 1/2 cabs''shorting the full top'' might be a better option because you could stretch the back slightly.

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
Thats a great idea, can't wait to see it finished. Are you going have the back window zip out?

OP
OP
drock

drock

I'm a taller guy and its hard to see in the pictures but it will have about 6 inches more room than a stock half cab. If you look closely you can see the driver's seat is mounted about 4 inches back from stock. The top will be in 2 parts (a top safari style top piece and the sides/back window being a different piece). Not sure about adding a zipper for the back window. Probably going to go with snaps and some Velcro.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... KEEP US POSTED DRock .. I've got a Red Project Bronco in the shop . Not sure where I'm headed with it yet.

OP
OP
drock

drock

Thanks half cab. Pa Pitt I'll keep everyone posted with updates. My local hardware store ordered some more plastic "L" pieces (see the 2nd picture in my first post). Once I get them I'll finish up the frame most likely next weekend. The only tools required to build the frame is a hacksaw, drill, tape measure and a level. I used a conduit bender for the main hoop but I could have bent it by hand.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Are you going to make the sheetmetal parts above the doors?I have thought of doing one my self but never got started.I did make vinyl rear windows for mine and may have enough left over to make you a rear window if that's the route you're going.

OP
OP
drock

drock

Half Cab Soft Top

I'm going to try it without the sheet metal over the doors as seen in the picture (I can always add it later if I don't get the look I'm going for). Do you have a picture of how you did your vinyl window?

Attachments

• BCTop.jpg
    BCTop.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 332

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
I just made some for my hard top that velcros in and out.They would probly still work with the velcro on canvas if you stitched it on.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410148204384.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410148204384.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 305
OP
OP
drock

drock

BRONCROB, I just checked out your vinyl window thread and they look pretty slick. I'll have to track down some Velcro when I get to that point.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
They do what I need them to,keep out rain and cold.I'm going to pretty the old hull up one day,until then I'm gonna keep driving it.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I'm loving this. Keep us posted for sure.

A top like this would be great on my 68 f100 if I cut the roof off!

OP
OP
drock

drock

$100 Half Cab Soft Top

I got most of the frame together last night and from a design standpoint I was wondering what others thoughts were on adding a "rain gutter" (see arrows in the picture below). I could simply add some aluminum "L" channel to the frame around the doors. The rain gutter would change the way I would run the top/snaps so want to get that figured out before I press with making the soft top itself. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Rain Gutter.jpg
    Rain Gutter.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 183
  • L Channel.jpg
    L Channel.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
They would be a nice addition.Without them rain would probably run through the top of your doors.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
Nice work. I have thought of ways to do this many times. I always wanted to do it with a wind jammer rear piece and a removable shade top.

OP
OP
drock

drock

Rain Gutter Rails

I found time today to add the rain gutter/drip rails around the frame. Sometime this week I'll call a couple local upholstery shops and see what it would cost to make the soft top.

The half cab frame was made with just a hacksaw/drill/tape measure/level and with the newly added drip rails was just over $55 total in materials/hardware to complete.

Attachments

• Half Cab Pics 005.jpg
    Half Cab Pics 005.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Half Cab Pics 002.jpg
    Half Cab Pics 002.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 180
OP
OP
drock

drock

1/2 Cab Soft Top

More pictures of the frame. Since I'm a taller guy you can see how the driver's seat has been moved back for extra leg room.

Attachments

• Half Cab Soft Top Frame 012.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top Frame 012.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Half Cab Soft Top Frame 013.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top Frame 013.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Half Cab Soft Top Frame 016.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top Frame 016.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Half Cab Soft Top Frame 002.jpg
    Half Cab Soft Top Frame 002.jpg