• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 bbl carb spacer heat dissipator

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Anyone know where to find a heat dissipator for a Motorcraft 2bbl?
I’m having problems with flooding after engine gets heated up good and then sits for 30 minutes or so. Suspect fuel is boiling.

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
I’ve been searching for solutions for quite awhile and it seems like this is not an uncommon problem in Broncos. My Dad used Broncos to carry rural US Mail for years. He had several throughout those years and I sure don’t recall him EVER having this problem. Some people say its the fuel we have nowadays. Anyway, I am surprised there are some better solutions out there. I have seen some dissipators for a Holly 2 bbl, but haven’t found one for a Motorcraft.

Rightpace

All you have to do is google autolite 2100 carburetor spacer. Pretty easy to find multiple options.

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Thanks! I picked one up and ready to install. Does it go between the carb and spacer or between the spacer and manifold?

knack

Contributor
I made one from some 5/8" thick phenolic sheet. Got it (Garolite brand) from McMaster Carr. Can also find it on Ebay in lots of different thicknesses.

Used a gasket for a pattern. Cuts easily with jig and hole saws. I've been using it for 10+ years with no trouble.

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
Knack, Will give that a try if this Felpro gasket doesn’t solve the problem. Do you still run the stock aluminum spacer with the PCV connection?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does it go between the carb and spacer or between the spacer and manifold?

Depends on what other ports and such, but I would guess between the spacer and the carb. If your spacer has exhaust gasses routed through it underneath, those would shred that gasket pretty quickly i would think.
If you don't have any additional exhaust gas circuits though, it could probably go in either position.
I'm sure the others will know for sure though. Been a long time since I had one.

Do you still run the stock aluminum spacer with the PCV connection?

Yes, absolutely. You want to keep the PCV fully functional whenever you can.
Are you sure it's aluminum though? If so I would inspect it carefully for damage/wear/tear to make sure it will still seal.
The aluminum ones took a beating wherever the exhaust gasses were routed through them. Depending on the year of your Bronco you may have had EGR ('73 and later) or even just a heat riser circuit cut into it.
And they get caked up pretty good sometimes from the PCV.

I may be thinking of other engines with the exhaust gasses, but it's still worth taking a look at when it's apart.

Clean it if that's all it needs, replace it if it's buggered.
If it's already cast-iron or steel though, you are probably good to go.

Paul

knack

Contributor
Had to go look to see how things went together. Paul was correct about how it stacks up, and leaving the spacer with the PCV connection in place.

I have a 1" body lift and a stock air cleaner. No issues with hood clearance, but a person would want to check that if you're adding a thick spacer.

Attachments

• Carb spacer.jpg
    Carb spacer.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 73

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Had to go look to see how things went together. Paul was correct about how it stacks up, and leaving the spacer with the PCV connection in place.

I have a 1" body lift and a stock air cleaner. No issues with hood clearance, but a person would want to check that if you're adding a thick spacer.

definitely.....

Nothing Special

I've got a similar issue, but I don't have any spacer between the carb and manifold. I got the carb and manifold from a junkyard and there was no spacer with them.

Currently my PCV is connected to a vacuum port at the base of my carb.

Would I be better off with a spacer? And if so, does anyone know where I could find one?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not necessarily. The spacers had different functions and one of them was PCV because the factory carb did not have it's own PCV nipple for some models. Since your carb has one, you don't need the spacer just for that. Only use one if you need it for some other reason.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Not necessarily. The spacers had different functions and one of them was PCV because the factory carb did not have it's own PCV nipple for some models. Since your carb has one, you don't need the spacer just for that. Only use one if you need it for some other reason.

yes sir great point

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
The spacer is definitely aluminum and seems to be in good condition. The intake manifold is stamped’68. The 2100 Motorcraft carburetor was made in ‘72. The spacer does have a pcv port which is goes the the pcv valve on the back of a valve cover. The carburetor also has a Pcv port which I have running to a ported /vented oil fill cap on the opposite valve cover. Seems like overkill for crankcase ventilation, but seems to run better that way. Anyway, I got the Felpro installed today. Will test drive tomorrow.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is definitely overkill, and it's not correct. Even if it does run better...
You don't need, or want two vacuum sources for scavenging. It won't let the valve do it's thing properly. However it does scavenge the heck out of the crankcase!
And pulling a vacuum is a trick for more horsepower by, at least one aspect, causing the piston rings to seal better. Maybe yours are a little tired?

Anyway, the one vacuum hose goes to the PCV valve in one valve cover, the other hose gets an air filter on it so that clean air can make it's way into the engine. With your two vacuum sources pulling a vacuum, you're getting un-filtered air into the engine from wherever it can get in.
So the best thing to do is cap off one of the vacuum fittings and put a filter on the other valve cover.

Or leave it and see how it fares. But I would not because there are too many questions about that for a street engine.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
The spacer is definitely aluminum and seems to be in good condition. The intake manifold is stamped’68. The 2100 Motorcraft carburetor was made in ‘72. The spacer does have a pcv port which is goes the the pcv valve on the back of a valve cover. The carburetor also has a Pcv port which I have running to a ported /vented oil fill cap on the opposite valve cover. Seems like overkill for crankcase ventilation, but seems to run better that way. Anyway, I got the Felpro installed today. Will test drive tomorrow.

good luck on the test drive...

OP
OP
L

lbuch40

Contributor
Loc.
Black Hills
I've got a similar issue, but I don't have any spacer between the carb and manifold. I got the carb and manifold from a junkyard and there was no spacer with them.

Currently my PCV is connected to a vacuum port at the base of my carb.

Would I be better off with a spacer? And if so, does anyone know where I could find one?

You should have plenty of room then to add a phenolic spacer to keep the carb cooler.

Nothing Special

I used felpro 60716 that I got from oriellys and it has helped a bunch with the warm engine start up.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...960d6e75/fel-pro-carburetor-gasket/fel0/60716

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked one of these up tonight. First issue was that my mounting studs weren't long enough for the added thickness. I had some 5/16-18 ready-rod so I made new studs (maybe I'll get real studs for it some time).

Next issue I had was that I believed the website that called it a gasket. It didn't feel like a gasket to me, and I doubted it's ability to seal. But I put it between the carb and manifold anyway and started it up.

Spraying carb cleaner round the base of the carb showed a whole lotta vacuum leaks. Fortunately I had a couple of stock gaskets. So I put one on either side of the new "gasket" (more of a spacer really) and tried again. No leaks this time!

I haven't tested it much yet, but I did shut it off for a minute or two and restarted it without touching the gas pedal. I wouldn't have been able to do that before, so it's definitely better! Time will tell how much better.