• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Twin stick a T-shift Dana 20?

green50gt

Loc.
Goshen, IN
Alright Fella's.

Had a "Bronco Expert" come over the other night and take a look at my 75. He informed me that I have a T-shift Tcase? Anyway, he stated that since I have a T-shift, that all I have to do is buy a twin stick setup, bolt it up, and I basically have a Dana 300 in the sense that I can shift the rear into neutral, and the front into say 2 low, or vice versa.

Assuming that I actually have the T-shift. Is it true that I can simply buy the twin stick and have it work like above?

Thanks, Derek

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
Whats your shift patern like? 75's don't have a T style shifter, they used the J style from the factory for 75's. Do you know if the P.O. put in a T style case? As far as a Dana300, I know nothing about those, but to have a true twin stick with a D20 case, there is a slight mod you need to make to the shifters that all the vendors sell to make it a true twin stick.

Tgure saves the day on what I was talking about. Thanks I needed that link again ;D

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
You can bolt up a twin stick to either the T or J shift d20. If you want truly independent shifting on the T-shift you have remove the pills from the shift rails which requires complete disassembly of the t-case. Click HERE for a manual on the d20 about 3/4 the way down you will see a picture of the pills. ;D

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Just to be clear...if it is in-fact a J-shift...no modifications are needed to the shift rails for independant shifting with a twin stick. This is a great mod. Front wheel drive baby!

OP
OP
G

green50gt

Loc.
Goshen, IN
Shift pattern, I can't say for sure. I have it in 2 right now, and I am not going to mess with it for now. The shifter is really really really loose, and its just kinda laying there. (disassembly/reassembly process) The guy that came over was pretty surprized to see a T-shift, as he said the same thing about them not being installed in 75's from the factory.

The knob that is on it, shows strait up and down. But that doesn't really help.

Ok, so if you can physically bolt a Twin stick shifter to the T-shift. What does that give you if anything? Is there any advantage to having the twin stick over the stock shifter?

(could not get your link to work?)

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
trailpsycho said:
Just to be clear...if it is in-fact a J-shift...no modifications are needed to the shift rails for independant shifting with a twin stick. This is a great mod. Front wheel drive baby!

No mods to the rails except cutting the tabs off so they can opperate independantly. But no pill removal internally.

Jeff in AZ

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Airman is correct, I left that out--I was thinking internal mods, sorry. As far as your t-shift TC, who knows, it must have replaced the original J-shift somewhere along the trail of its life. If your not ready to rebuild the T-shift TC, you may want to look for a replacement T-shifter from one of the guys here who have swapped to/installed a twin stick--as a short term fix. Otherwise, crack that sucker open and go through it and set it up for a twin stick. Good luck.

YellowBronc

Bronco God
Another alternative is to install the twin sticks without internal modification. You will still retain all the original gear combinations but will not be able to utilize the twin stick abilities until you modify the T-Case. (Did I make sense??)

Then when time allows, you can modify it and already have the shifters.

OP
OP
G

green50gt

Loc.
Goshen, IN
trailpsycho said:

Ok, so did you mean T shift, or J shift?

Is there any write up that I can access on this? It seems like everyone has a different opinion on this. I'd like to be for sure.

Here is what I gather so far....If I have a T SHIFT. I can just go ahead and purchase the Twin stick setup. I can install it. Then on the shift rails, which would be on the OUTSIDE of the case, i can grind off some tabs that are on there? Then I can independantly shift front and rear? am I understanding this correctly?

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
green50gt said:
Ok, so did you mean T shift, or J shift?

Is there any write up that I can access on this? It seems like everyone has a different opinion on this. I'd like to be for sure.

Here is what I gather so far....If I have a T SHIFT. I can just go ahead and purchase the Twin stick setup. I can install it. Then on the shift rails, which would be on the OUTSIDE of the case, i can grind off some tabs that are on there? Then I can independantly shift front and rear? am I understanding this correctly?

The J shift you can cut on the outside to make it truly independent. The T shift you have to disassemble to remove the pills which I stated in an above post. But if your stock shifter sucks a twin stick will greatly help your ability to shift even if you don't make it independent.

Added the picture showing the rods you have to remove for the T Shift case.

Attachments

• figure18.jpg
    figure18.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 172

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
regardless of what you have, get the twin stick anyways. It's totally cool, and if you have a t-shift case, you will gain the ability to go 2-Lo only (front nuetral) Pretty cool for manuevering in tight places...
then if you wanna rebuild, you can take out the internal pill (Assuming t-shift t-case)

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Green5.0GT-

Yes, there should be several write ups in the archives; you will need to run a search. I do remember looking at some other peoples' posts before I cut my shift rails and installed my twin on my J-shift. I am sure that there are also are pics of the T-shift twin stick mods around. The D20 rebuild thread mentioned early in this thread details the internal modifications to the T-shift TC to get the independant axle selection from the twin stick.

As others have said, you can run a twin stick on the T-shift- without messing with the internal components of the TC and you will be able to shift into 4-hi, 2-hi, 4-lo and 2-lo just like a normal t-shift will get you. However, to independantly shift the front and rear axles, you will need to make the previously mentioned internal modifications to your TC. I hope that this is all clear to you now. Sorry, if I confused you earlier. Where is Goshen? I am in Indy. If I can help you out in any way with anything, let me know. If you ever make it down this way; its always beer-thirty. Just drop me a PM. Best of luck in getting your TC to behave.

OP
OP
G

green50gt

Loc.
Goshen, IN
supermottl said:
regardless of what you have, get the twin stick anyways. It's totally cool, and if you have a t-shift case, you will gain the ability to go 2-Lo only (front nuetral) Pretty cool for manuevering in tight places...
then if you wanna rebuild, you can take out the internal pill (Assuming t-shift t-case)

Ok, summermottl. You said the T-SHIFT in both areas. Which one is which, I assume one of them was supposed to be the J-SHIFT.

Tgure. So the T-SHIFT is the lesser of the two? If someone wants an independantly shifted case, the J-SHIFT is what is needed (with little modification, that is)

Next question. HOW DO I VISUALLY DIFERENTIATE BETWEEN THE T-SHIFT AND THE J-SHIFT?

Lets say it turns out to be a J-SHIFT. Can anyone provide a picture or documentation on what needs to be cut externally?

OP
OP
G

green50gt

Loc.
Goshen, IN
trailpsycho said:
Green5.0GT-

Yes, there should be several write ups in the archives; you will need to run a search. I do remember looking at some other peoples' posts before I cut my shift rails and installed my twin on my J-shift. I am sure that there are also are pics of the T-shift twin stick mods around. The D20 rebuild thread mentioned early in this thread details the internal modifications to the T-shift TC to get the independant axle selection from the twin stick.

As others have said, you can run a twin stick on the T-shift- without messing with the internal components of the TC and you will be able to shift into 4-hi, 2-hi, 4-lo and 2-lo just like a normal t-shift will get you. However, to independantly shift the front and rear axles, you will need to make the previously mentioned internal modifications to your TC. I hope that this is all clear to you now. Sorry, if I confused you earlier. Where is Goshen? I am in Indy. If I can help you out in any way with anything, let me know. If you ever make it down this way; its always beer-thirty. Just drop me a PM. Best of luck in getting your TC to behave.

Yes, that helps out. It is just getting very confusing and frustrating because everyone is saying something different. you just said if I have the T-SHIFT, that all I have to is install the twin stick, and I have 2 LO. I guess that is what I am after. 2 LO in the front would be cool, but i am not about to tear it apart and start screwing around in there.

I am about 3 north of Indy. 2 1/2 if you have a really fast mustang.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
some inportant facts for you:

1. A twin stick for a J will not fit a T (and vice/versa). You must have the right shifter.

2. T shift w/ Twin stick engagement options: 4H, 4L, N, 2H rear wheels, 2L rear wheels. (this is all posible with stock T shift case as is)

3. J shift w/ Twin stick engagement options: 4H, 4L, N, 2H rear, 2H front, 2L rear, 2L front. (this is all posible with stock J shift case as is)

I hope that clears it up.

2L with rear wheels is great to have if you have a locker up front and don't always NEED 4WD. This is why it is recomended.

Jeff in AZ

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One more thing, the moment you cut your tunnel cover and look at the top of the transfer case without the stock shifter, it will make perfect sense to you.

Jeff

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
Here is a before and after shot of the J-shift modification.

Attachments

• twin2.jpg
    twin2.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 80
  • twin4.jpg
    twin4.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
G

green50gt

Loc.
Goshen, IN
I hope so, because I am back to being confused again. I understand that picture about the tabs needing to be cut off. Thank you.

I guess when I get home I am just going to start cutting and see what I see. It would still be helpful to be able to tell the difference between a T-SHIFT and a J-SHIFT.

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
green50gt said:
I hope so, because I am back to being confused again. I understand that picture about the tabs needing to be cut off. Thank you.

I guess when I get home I am just going to start cutting and see what I see. It would still be helpful to be able to tell the difference between a T-SHIFT and a J-SHIFT.

A J Shift will have the tabs in the above picture a T shift will not have those tabs. So by looking at where your shifter attaches you should be able to tell.

Added a picture of my T shift D20 with twin stick.

Attachments

• DCP00457.JPG
    DCP00457.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 113

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Airman is correct, I should have been more specific. Before you decide to cut, why not use a dental mirror or compact mirror and a flashlight. You will be able to see what the deal is...but from the sounds of it, you have a T-shift. So why cut anything until you have a plan of action (new/new-to-you T-shifter or twin stick). I dont see any point in cutting a hole unless you plan to install a twin stick and have directions (to tell you where, how big and such on your cut). Try a small mirror or two and a flashlight...if you want to be sure. You just need to make a commitment on the part...I would think.