• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1" Body Lift Questions

EB70

Contributor
I have been looking at my Bronco since installing new axles etc. I think the way that it sits it would be better to lift it 1" at the body. More room to work, fix the air cleaner situation etc.

I am likely going to go with the integral WH kit to get the clearance. I understand that the clutch linkage may need help.

Any other problem areas? Will I likely need the rear fuel hose and if so what size should a 70 be?

I know the body lift has some fastner problems, but I think I can get around those pretty easily.

Thanks for any tips.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only other common issue is the radiator fan shroud. Here again though, like so many other things, your results may vary. With just 1", at least half the Broncos don't need to do anything with the shroud. The other half need to lower it to clear.
Same with the clutch linkage actually, but more people do need the longer one.

Fuel hoses should be fine, as should just about everything else. Yours is 1.75" diameter for reference though.

Paul

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
Thank you. I will be ordering from you this evening.

ROB

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool, thanks!

Sounds like you've already read some of the horror stories about removing the original mounts then, eh?
If not, we can go through some of the pitfalls when you're ready.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The things that needed adjusting on mine were:
The steering column yoke bolt holes had to be slotted out a bit.
The clutch rod wasn't long enough anymore.
The fan shroud needed spacing down.
The throttle link from the firewall belcrank needed to be adjusted longer.
These were all easy fixes. The instructions cover most of it.

A couple of 1.5" wide pieces of sheet metal, the width of the shroud are all that's needed to drop the it. Paint them black and you won't even notice the mod.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I put a one inch on mine, but I put mine on top of the stock body bushings.. Mine cleared the carb issue .. I did adjust my clutch rod about a half inch.. & Mine didn't have a shroud but after I got one .. I'll say I added about 1 inch of straps to raise or lower that shroud.
When I put in the NP435 I had to do a little work on the shiftier hole & Then when I added the JB Twin sticks again I ADJUSTED THE HOLE SLIGHTLY.
.. I did nothing to the fuel tank hose.

BroncoMabry

I recently added the 1" BL from Wild Horses. Fan shroud & clutch linkage were all that I needed to adjust. Would be nice if you added four 1" drop brackets to the kit Paul.

Also, be sure to put tape over the frame hole on the 2 mounts behind the seats. Ask me how I know? Last suggestion I have is to get yourself a pack of Sawzall blades & enjoy the smell of burning rubber.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The 1" body lift is worth every drop of sweat. I had considered cutting the bushings down to half that, but I'm sure glad I didn't. There's more room for the intake, A/C, tranny, headers, and the wrenching that goes along with all that stuff.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
Got it ordered. Have a lot of sawzall blades on hand here! Hopefully, I will get it installed in the next couple of weeks.