• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1 ton steering conv. on dana 30?

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
So I bent my tie rod ends last weekend while out wheeling, I have a dana 30 and I am interested in the gm 1 ton tie rod ends and I would like to set it up on top of the knuckle instead of the bottom like factory. Is this able to be done on a bronco dana 30, what will I need to do differently for the high steer besides reaming the knuckles from a different direction. Also I would like to know the opinions of anyone who has done high steer or the 1 ton conversion and how they like it. I will be building this myself, I know I will need to either buy or borrow a reamer, I think I will be buying weld in bungs for DOM tubing, and I have found measurements for bronco dana 44 setups already and I am assuming that they will be the same for the dana 30. thanks in advance for any info.

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 71

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nice taco tie rod!
Just FYI, whatever you did to do that, will also bend the passenger side tie-rod end for the 1-ton setup. Unlike your stock stuff though, the beefier replacements won't leave you with funky steering. You'll just have to readjust the toe-in if you do bend it.
It's about the only weak link in the GM-based setup. All the rest of the stuff is uber-beefy stuff.

Don't see any reason you could not make it TRO either. I'm not sure if the 30 knuckles are any thinner or thicker at the steering arm than the 44's. If they're the same, then simply reaming from the top should get you a workable setup.
If the steering arm is thin enough though, you end up with sort of an hourglass shape, that does not grab the entire tapered stud of the rod end. However, it's still pretty strong stuff.
In a pinch, if it's too thin to support just tapering from the top, you could either fill the lower section with weld and then taper, or use one of the tapered shims, weld it in and then taper. Should get you enough material to do just about anything at that point.
From what I've seen around here though, most people going TRO do not have to add any fill and it works out just fine.

You've read the other threads on the subject, and know that you'll have to re-orient the trackbar to maintain it's parallel position with the draglink though, correct?
Probably need a stock pitman arm (depending on how much lift the truck has) and a trackbar riser is a better fit for TRO than a drop bracket.

Also, "The Cure" from Ruff-Stuff Specialties will help reduce rotational movement when steering. Probably a good idea with any GM 1-ton steering conversion.

Good luck. As we say around here, "every Bronco is different" so don't fret too much if you have to wait until it's together to make final tweaks and mods to make it just right. After all, you're changing things pretty good with this system. Longer draglink, different angles, higher location. That kind of stuff.
Lots of room for slight variations.

Paul

SavageBurro

Yes u can do 1 ton tro w d30.

I like the goferit bushings. They eliminate the need for reamer. Use a 3/4" drill bit
http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

I haven't used it but the ruff stuff steering setup looks stout and is less expensive than most. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com...&Product_Code=YLINK&Category_Code=STEERINGKIT

I have a ford d60 and used an older dodge tie rod that was for tie rod over so it has the drag link end hole taper on the correct side... and allows the use of a stock length drag link so the track bar and drag link stay close to the same length. I made my own riser but the wh riser shld work too.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Trac_bar_riser/fabricatorparts

OP
OP
S

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
Thank you dirtdonk, I was unaware of the track bar being an issue I will do some searching on that. The bronco currently has worn out 2.5 inch lift springs in the front right now, they currently have about an inch and a half of lift over stock, I also have a WH 1 inch body lift but i dont think that will affect anything. I have a 4x4x2 box with a stock pitman arm as well. I will look into "the cure" as well.

SavageBurro those sleeves look great, I will probably be piecing the system together myself I can get the tubing cheaper through my work and hopefully get the TREs on a deal as well, I do really like the tube inserts that they offer though, if piecing it together gets close to the price of the kit I will just go with that kit. I will make my own riser as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I remember those sleeves. Great idea. I'd forgotten the name of the company, so thanks for posting that Burro.

So you're already starting with a semi-Frankenbronco there snipi. The bigger steering box moves the location of the pitman arm, the new TRO setup will be non-stock too, and any suspension lift changes the working angles too.

So expect to swap in parts and still have to maybe tweak things a little to keep them in line. Keeping the draglink and the trackbar parallel, or at least reasonably so, might require you working with some off-the-shelf parts as well as some custom ones.
All kinds of weird stuff crops up at times like these.

Have fun!

paul

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I am running the GM, one ton, tie rod over on my 68 D30, no problems.

OP
OP
S

snipi

Loc.
Mesa
Thank you guys I am still waiting on a quote from work on the tubing, I will be ordering parts very soon and start building. I will keep you posted with pictures and results.