• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

14 Piece Bushing Video Install

jonmelton

Hey guys, finished my 14 piece bushing install a few weeks ago and documented the process.

I know I did somethings wrong and made mistakes along the way, but sometimes its helpful to see someone else go through the process before you believe you can do it.

Here's a link to the video. I'll post the install video (part 2) in a couple days.

https://youtu.be/l1y5D6PvhDk

A huge thank you to Heus33 and the article he posted a while back. This is what I went through to do mine and it was incredible. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144905&highlight=bushing+install

BowHunter148

This is how I look doing my frame off, the wife is not a hair stylist
716b61b34306763ccac15392b8fb180a.jpg

nathan_1970

You know it's coming! Any ideas for future videos?

Thinking about a gear swap in the 9 inch rear end... might be over my head.

There are a lot of topics that could be touched on.

I think someone that is coming into Broncos, or classics of any sort that may not have much experience working on vehicles, things can be intimidating because you do not want to get "in over your head". I have done suspension work before, but to me your video was nice because it showed “gotcha’s” you figured out and warned others about.

I recently came across a topic that would be well suited for a video that you could tackle. Backstory, my vacuum advance was faulty so I replaced it, which caused me to look into tuning my stock 302. Tuning my engine took a lot of research on my part but I got it dialed in pretty well now. I now feel pretty comfortable adjusting my timing and setting my carburetor. Not knowing much about carbureted engines there was a learning curve, but my best lesson was watching an old school guy adjust these setting pretty aggressively and it wasn’t destroying the engine. This guy DID NOT tune my engine properly (I think he forgot how to execute properly but remembered the steps). This gave me the confidence to tackle it myself because I knew it was not as fragile as I made it up in my head. I had to advance the timing about 10 degrees to get it running the way it should from what he had set it. After that I then went in and adjusted the carb because who knows what he did to it (one idle mixture screw was a full turn more then the other).

Tuning a carbureted engine would be a good video in your series for the next guy down the way.

The videos you are starting to produce take the mysticism out of the process which shows people the full scope of what they are getting into.

Your gear swap video sounds good as well.

Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Nathan43

Loc.
Provencal, Louisiana
There are a lot of topics that could be touched on.

I think someone that is coming into Broncos, or classics of any sort that may not have much experience working on vehicles, things can be intimidating because you do not want to get "in over your head". I have done suspension work before, but to me your video was nice because it showed “gotcha’s” you figured out and warned others about.

I recently came across a topic that would be well suited for a video that you could tackle. Backstory, my vacuum advance was faulty so I replaced it, which caused me to look into tuning my stock 302. Tuning my engine took a lot of research on my part but I got it dialed in pretty well now. I now feel pretty comfortable adjusting my timing and setting my carburetor. Not knowing much about carbureted engines there was a learning curve, but my best lesson was watching an old school guy adjust these setting pretty aggressively and it wasn’t destroying the engine. This guy DID NOT tune my engine properly (I think he forgot how to execute properly but remembered the steps). This gave me the confidence to tackle it myself because I knew it was not as fragile as I made it up in my head. I had to advance the timing about 10 degrees to get it running the way it should from what he had set it. After that I then went in and adjusted the carb because who knows what he did to it (one idle mixture screw was a full turn more then the other).

Tuning a carbureted engine would be a good video in your series for the next guy down the way.

The videos you are starting to produce take the mysticism out of the process which shows people the full scope of what they are getting into.

Your gear swap video sounds good as well.

Good luck and thanks for sharing!
+1 on everything Nathan said.I'd like a walkthrough on the gear swap. I havnt done one before but was kinda thinking about going back to 3.50s, since the PO put in 4.10s.

Great tutorial looking forward to more!