• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

170 to 351W. Need some help.

BrianTMartin

Loc.
Surfside Beach
I am currently still running my stock 170 in my 66. No problems, just had the chance to get a 351W for a "steal". (Just had alot of favors owed). Got a 351 out of a 94 Ford F-150. No problems with the engine, just got the rear end tore out of it. I have searched past forums and have found alot of info of 302 to 351 conversions, but only a couple of 170 to 351 and not too much to go on for a "learner, but determined to do it myself" type of person.

I am just wanting to build this 351 up over time (and money) will allow, so am looking for any suggestion on things that you would start with, things to look for on Ebay as time goes by.

I know that I will need to look for an intake manifold, carb, etc. Have read through past forums to be on the lookout for V-8 radiator, frmae mounts, and transmission options, c4 setup, etc.

Any advice as in the past is always welcome. Thanks for the help.

Brian

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 23

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Duffs has some info on this page..

http://www.jamesduff.com/eb/conversion.html

SWAPPING A 6 CYL FOR A 302/5.0L or 351W: You’ll need:

#3100, or #3102 Headers
#3103 Oil Pan (351W) or #3642 Oil Pan (302)
#3125 & 3105 4-Core Radiator with Bracket Kit
#3108 or #3109 Fan Shroud, #3108 #3107 Lower Radiator “L” Brackets
#3114 Rubber Engine Mounts
#3115 Motor Mount Brackets
#3160, #3161, and #3162 (351W only)

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Since I have a I6, this is something I consider too!

Wildhorses Info (3/4 down the page)
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/14.asp

Straight 6 to V-8 Conversion

There are several things to keep in mind when converting from a straight 6 to a V8. The 6 cylinder transmission is not strong enough to handle the power of the V8. It is also too short to hook up to a properly mounted V8. To correct this you would need to get the V-8 transmission, V-8 adapter and t-case input shaft (spud shaft) and use these instead. A sure sign of a bad V8 (289, 302, 351w) conversion is when the firewall has been cut into to make clearance for the engine. This usually means the engine is hooked to a 6-clinder transmission and the engine mounts are in the wrong place. The 6 cylinder radiator is also something else you will want to replace as it is not sufficient to cool a V-8. To do this, you will need to replace the 6 cylinder radiator brackets and mounts with the proper V-8 brackets and mounts. You will want to consider the following items when doing this conversion.

sdever98

Don't forget about power steering and altenator brackets. Also you need to decide if you are going to run the sepertine or V belt pulleys. You can get those from most of the bronco part houses. If you don't have dual gas tanks or a aftermarket rear tank you are going to want to replace it. Your V8 will stuck down one of those 14 tanks in no time.

Good Luck!

Scott.

wheelin66bronco

Loc.
State of Jefferson
I did that exact conversion 3or4 years ago. I started with the Duff Kit ( and if I had known a day ago would have given you my duff long tube headers before cut them up)Sorrry.

You have all the basics, engine mounts, radiator, exhaust and so on.
One thing I would suggest when it comes to your belts and pulleys is do a explorer or mustang serp at the same time. You won't regret it.

baby_blue

Loc.
Laramie, WY
I had also thought about this conversion. I think that the easiest route would be to find a V8 frame. They are all over and you can mount the engine and tranny while you are still driving the EB.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Wow , swapping the body just to get a V8 in there. geez the d20s, the 3 speeds and the rest is easy to find. , and IMO use manifolds , much easier to install and more room.