• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 170 expectations

OP
OP
Nowik35

Nowik35

Here's some more info on the SCV/"Load-O-Matic" distributor - From what I can tell your new distributor is NOT a Load-O-Matic and the 1904 probably doesn't have a SCV - look at the pictures in this article to see if your 1904 has it or not. This is good news because the 1904 & T2613 carquest should work together.

https://fordsix.com/ams/load-o-matic-distributor-spark-control-valve.28/

I'd start by plugging off the vacuum from the carb and setting the timing at around 10 degrees - plug in the vacuum line & see if she runs & adjust it from there.
Good Luck & keep us posted on your results.
So I just took the cap off the T2613 distributor and I'm not an expert but based on Google the guts look like a load o matic. I attached a picture. I also took a picture of my 1904 and it has a vacuum advance nipple, but no SCV valve. So I'm totally confused now. Is the nipple on the carb not for the vacuum advance?
https://flic.kr/p/2pRC4j2 https://flic.kr/p/2pRDaVP

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Try and twist the rotor on the distributor. If there is a mechanical advance you can move the rotor (I want to say clockwise) and the springs will snap it back.

It's been at least 5 years since I played with an SCV setup. Never had a straight 6 with a conventional ignition.
I think you are right about that being an SCV setup. Ford is bad about hiding the advance mechanism under the points where you can't see it. So that is why I said to check for spring action.
That vacuum port on the carb looks like the right spot for an SCV setup, at least from my limited memory. Ported vacuum is almost always at the baseplate, just above the throttle blade.
The one thing I remember about the SCV carb is what looks like a traditional Holley power valve on the outside. That is the tuning method, which valve is installed. The vacuum amplifier thingy.

OP
OP
Nowik35

Nowik35

Yes it does. The rotor rotates clockwise by hand and springs back when let go

OP
OP
Nowik35

Nowik35

Update. So I just clamped off the vacuum line. And set my timing to about 8 degrees advance. And immediately my engine started to idle super high. My timing was so off and I was compensating with my idle screw. I had no idea. This is because when I set my timing weeks ago I did it with the vacuum advance connected. I had no idea it makes such a difference when you're setting idle timing. Any ways I took it for a spin. Works beautiful. Goes up hill in second no problem. Thanks guys.