• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 6yl. to v-8 motor swap questions

bigcolt45

Loc.
riverview
what will i need and what years and engines will bolt to my 3 on the tree manual tranny? and how fast do they run with a 351 in them and any other pointers on things i will need to do to upgrade...thanks

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
The I6 3 speed tranny will need to be swapped out for a V8 3 speed which is longer and you will need new motor towers which weld on ( I have a set that are for sale- $25), radiator and core support mounts and a few other things. In my opinion the V8 is the best way to go and the torque of the 351 is nice to have. I run a 5.0 from a mustang fuel injected, it was worth all the work.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
All the three speeds have a one to one ratio in high gear, so that is not a factor. You more than likely have 4:10 gears and how fast will depend on what size tires for a given rpm. You could upgrade to a larger six such as the 200 or 250 unless you're determined on having a V8.