• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Bronco question

196676bronco

I am in the process of restoring my 66 bronco U15. It is an august 65 build so early. When purchased it had a later white rear seat installed which I assumed someone removed the original but when I removed the rear floor section I noticed it was only screwed into the floor so basically no reinforcements for the seat bolts. The other thing is it has the silver front buckets but I noticed all the bolts are there for the divider like it had a bench. My guess is it had buckets with no rear seat and the bolts were always there on all models. Is this the case did some U15's come with no rear seat? Also were the divider bolts standard back then?

Thanks

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Yes some came without rear seats, what's your trim code on the warranty plate? The slotted pan head screws were in place if the bulkhead wasn't in place.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Based on this, they all came with a bulkhead unless a rear seat was ordered. I expect there could be exceptions to that...
82a3a9c5864f117ff275ac062d7ffcaf.jpg

OP
OP

196676bronco

So your saying that the bulkhead was probably removed because the rear seat was not optioned? It looked like all the bolts on the side and the floor were all there just not used. Interesting I wasn't really looking for it but don't typically see them in pictures with the wagon

OP
OP

196676bronco

The way that seat was fastened through the floor it would have not been good in a n accident.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Are they Ford bolts in the floor or slotted smooth screws where the bulkhead should be?

OP
OP

196676bronco

I will have to look when I get home but I think they were ford bolts like the ones up the sides on the side reinforcement. I took them out when I replaced the floor but still have everything

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
So your saying that the bulkhead was probably removed because the rear seat was not optioned? It looked like all the bolts on the side and the floor were all there just not used. Interesting I wasn't really looking for it but don't typically see them in pictures with the wagon

Yup, I’m thinking the bulkhead was removed when the owner installed the rear seat.
3592eacae3932a685ca798fab9f96a42.jpg

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I will have to look when I get home but I think they were ford bolts like the ones up the sides on the side reinforcement. I took them out when I replaced the floor but still have everything

Bulkhead most likely removed then. 798 trim code would have been for driver/passenger buckets and no rear seat, 998 would have been for driver/passenger buckets with rear seat.

OP
OP

196676bronco

One other question did the 66 only come with the high dollar hub caps or did they come with the typical style?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
One other question did the 66 only come with the high dollar hub caps or did they come with the typical style?

It was just the pricey ones or none for 15" wheels. None were offered for the 16" option, just steel 16" wheels. If you've got chrome bumpers, horn ring and cigar lighter, it most likely came with hub caps, but there's no way to be 100% sure without a window sticker.

I saw a 66 window sticker a while back with those hub caps listed I'll see if I can find it. They were really cheap lol.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice project you got going. Looked at your garage

I am in the process of restoring my 66 bronco U15. It is an august 65 build so early. When purchased it had a later white rear seat installed which I assumed someone removed the original but when I removed the rear floor section I noticed it was only screwed into the floor so basically no reinforcements for the seat bolts. The other thing is it has the silver front buckets but I noticed all the bolts are there for the divider like it had a bench. My guess is it had buckets with no rear seat and the bolts were always there on all models. Is this the case did some U15's come with no rear seat? Also were the divider bolts standard back then?

Thanks