• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 gemmer 24JC05 Manual steering box

Covey

I have a 66 roadster trying to keep it close to original and stock. I have a leaking steering box and just want to go thru it. Does anyone know where you can pick up a rebuild kit for this? I have seen where they are hard to find. But if people can sell rebuilds you must be able to get parts. Any help I would appreciate it.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is this one of the boxes with the cast-iron main body, and an aluminum top cover? I seem to remember they had aluminum in the early years, but then went to cast steel/iron later.
I’m not aware of whether or not there are any differences internally, so some of the experts here will have to pipe up about that.
Whether or not a manual gearbox rebuild kit is the same from 66 to 77, I don’t know. But it would be cool if it was!

Gas Pig

Bronco Guru
I have a 66 roadster trying to keep it close to original and stock. I have a leaking steering box and just want to go thru it. Does anyone know where you can pick up a rebuild kit for this? I have seen where they are hard to find. But if people can sell rebuilds you must be able to get parts. Any help I would appreciate it.
There is an outfit just out side of Pittsburgh, PA that rebuilds them and they come back like new. Power Brake X-Change Inc. the owner is awesome! I honestly think he has rebuilt about every type of steering box made. He showed me his notes over the past 40+ years and it’s incredible. It’s just three old guys just fixing and rebuilding steering and brake components.

OP
OP
Covey

Covey

Yes it has an aluminum top and I will check out people in Pittsburgh. Thanks for the help guys