• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 or not?

rmk57

Didn't 66's have the key lock separate from the handle on the lift gate?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Lift gate handle is '66, rear bumper is not. Gauge cluster is '66, transfer case shifter isn't. Single reservoir master cylinder is '66, plastic driver air inlet is not (although the metal ones may have only been early production.

As has been pointed out, there are a lot of '66 parts missing, but there are enough present for me to guys it is in fact a '66.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So after studying the pics, I would definitely say it is a typical mid-year 1966 bronco with the V8. It has some replacement parts that are uncharacteristic but they are merely swap and bolt on pieces.

1966 items:

- inner fender/heater core brace on passenger side
- plastic driver's side air box existed for '66s into 4th and 5th month production rigs
- single reservoir master cylinder as mentioned before
- i see some black/ivory dash knobs
- transfer case t-handle shifter is typical for the V8 '66 rigs
- V8 emblem is correct for '66 V8s
- yes on surge tank although they existed for '67s too
- door lock positioning as mentioned before
- round side view mirror on door is '66 only
- black arm rest for rear seat is '66 only - '67s has the small parchment ones
- rear lift gate handle/separate lock is '66 only
- no back up lights in tail lenses as mentioned
- '66 seatbelts did have the 90 degree bed mounts and '67s are flat as mentioned
- check the dash pad to see if there is the molded-in bead at bottom of pad, '67 were just flat.

On the buck tag, I did see that it mentioned "MLDG". I believe that is for the optioned and special ordered chrome rocker molding. Somewhat rare back then but did exist as an option. Pretty cool!

OP
OP
I

Ict57

Thanks for all the responses and help. Plan was to scavenge a few 66 specific parts for the u13 but this seems too complete. Thinking another project may be in store. Will post some pics after it comes home this weekend.

Specracer

To the experts, for the front turn signal indicators, is this a later grill that has been swapped in, or did later 66 have the amber non flush indicators?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
That's the it about a lot of these rigs over the last 50 yrs especially in the '70's they were wrecked,stole, or when ever reason n put back with whatever year was available.

They were a few fellas around here back then,most are dead n gone that made a pretty good living off chopping n rebuilding hot Broncos during those yrs. til they got cought.

example buy a wrecked '72 from ins,steal a '74 off a lot n walla you could paint change body parts as needed n sell. Sad but true.