• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Roadster value

jrussells

Contributor
Hey guys

Looking for some insight about the value of a 1966 roadster that’s possibly a “budd” body. I’m going to pick it up tomorrow as long as the vin matches what he told me (U13fl73xxxx) and I can’t really back out now, but I’m trying to get a better understanding of what I just bought.

Is there any inherent value increase for it being a 66 roadster opposed to just being any other year/body style? Seller says it’s a budd body with the eyebrow grill and some kind of special 66 hood, but I don’t know enough about the early ones to know if it truly is a budd body or if it even makes a difference in value.

I’d appreciate any insight you guys have on it. Maybe it’ll ease some of the pain in my wallet lol

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Just depends on the vin, earlier the better especially if it's earlier than 732150. Any of the 730's will be Budd's with the early hoods and other two dozen quirks. Depends on how many of the 66' one year only parts are still there. I've documented around 750 still existing 66 u13 over the last couple years, send me some in info on this when/of you buy it. We like pics here too, post pics lol.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Bronco guys - u13 rare and cool.

Guys who spend big money and not really Bronco guys - don't care.

In general perfect u13s don't auction well.

All sheet metal was made by Budd, a lot of over thinking with little real importance.

U13s are better in theory than enjoyment.

Last edited:

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bronco guys - u13 rare and cool.

Guys who spend big money and not really Bronco guys - don't care.

In general perfect u13s don't auction well.

All sheet metal was made by Budd, a lot of over thinking with little real importance.

U13s are better in theory than enjoyment.
Agree! The term "Budd" is used and abused as much as "barn find". Budd made the sheetmetal for all 12 years of the early bronco!

OP
OP
J

jrussells

Contributor
Finally got a chance to take some pictures and give it a look over. I miiiight have but off more than I want to chew. Going to at least get the title paperwork sorted out, but I might be letting this one go before too long.

Anyway here’s some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_7023.jpeg
    IMG_7023.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7020.jpeg
    IMG_7020.jpeg
    470.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7017.jpeg
    IMG_7017.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7019.jpeg
    IMG_7019.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7025.jpeg
    IMG_7025.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7023.jpeg
    IMG_7023.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    393.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7022.jpeg
    IMG_7022.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7029.jpeg
    IMG_7029.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 97

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That one has a long way to go and it's missing a bunch of it's hard to find '66 and roadster specific parts.

bgaller

Hopefully you didn't pay too much, like fordfan said, it's missing a lot of the valuable 66 parts (hubcaps, tailgate, bumpers, etc). Is the frame in good shape? Might be worth junking the body and selling the frame/title for $3500 to one of the big bronco builders.

don k

Contributor
Fixing it will do some serious pain to your wallet.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Just depends on the vin, earlier the better especially if it's earlier than 732150. Any of the 730's will be Budd's with the early hoods and other two dozen quirks. Depends on how many of the 66' one year only parts are still there. I've documented around 750 still existing 66 u13 over the last couple years, send me some in info on this when/of you buy it. We like pics here too, post pics lol.

lol, def lots of pics

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Finally got a chance to take some pictures and give it a look over. I miiiight have but off more than I want to chew. Going to at least get the title paperwork sorted out, but I might be letting this one go before too long.

Anyway here’s some pictures

I mean you gotta start somewhere right Best of luck either direction you take @jrussells

Sendero

Sr. Jr. Member
Hey guys

Looking for some insight about the value of a 1966 roadster that’s possibly a “budd” body. I’m going to pick it up tomorrow as long as the vin matches what he told me (U13fl73xxxx) and I can’t really back out now, but I’m trying to get a better understanding of what I just bought.

Is there any inherent value increase for it being a 66 roadster opposed to just being any other year/body style? Seller says it’s a budd body with the eyebrow grill and some kind of special 66 hood, but I don’t know enough about the early ones to know if it truly is a budd body or if it even makes a difference in value.

I’d appreciate any insight you guys have on it. Maybe it’ll ease some of the pain in my wallet lol
Cool find. My bronco is a 66 U13 roadster budd truck as well and I made a similiar post on this forum and talked to a few people about it. I came to the conclusion that no one really cares and the "rare" aspect of it doesn't really translate to value. Most people, including myself, want a full top, v8, overdrive, dana 44 etc and those are the broncos that bring money. For what it is worth, I decided to build my how I want and don't plan to sell it anyway. It seems like there are a few guys out there that want these U13 budd trucks but they aren't paying top dollar for them.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Pretty rough Bronco there.... Is the frame good? If not I think you bought a title... Wish you the best to revive that one, lots of money and time needed.

OP
OP
J

jrussells

Contributor
The frame is actually in really good shape. When I bought it I was figuring on salvaging any of the 66 parts (if there were any) off the body, getting the title straightened out, and then deciding about keeping it or not. I knew the body was pretty well shot through. I filed for a title last week so I should have that back in the next couple weeks. I might list it and see what kind of interest I get on it.

In the meantime are there any parts I should be stripping off the body? I know about the eyebrow grille, but that’s all I know that’s 66 specific.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
its worth about 2500, maybe 500 more if you get the title. if you paid significantly more than that, the seller is a crook