• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1966 Z-Bar / Clutch Equalizer Repair/Recondition w/ Straight 6

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
Hey guys, been a while since I have been on here, but I should be around a lot more. I inherited my father's 1966, and I am putting a new clutch in it. I order a few parts that arrived for an 8 cylinder, and this truck is a straight 6, with a 3 speed on the column. The z-bar, or equalizer bar (I guess it depends on where you are from for the correct term), has been out of production for years. I see preowned ones for sale, but they are not guaranteed to be within the specs. The original is all "hogged-out". Bushings disintegrated years ago, and it is crazy out of spec at both ends of the tube. I found a really clean one online, although I have not gotten specs on it, AND it is for a Mustang 6 cylinder. Would this one be the same part number? MORE IMPORTANTLY, does anyone know where I could get my original reconditioned? I am nervous about used ones because I am told that the ends should be welded up, and then bored out to original specs. If this will need to be done, I may as well do it to the original. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
OP
OP
fitpays

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
Both Toms and JBG have used ones for the bronco 6 cylinder. I would bet the bushing kits are the same but I would call and ask. You need to change the bushings when you do this!

https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/66-77...Y6PhfIqmJet6kVNZgjfgSzILNKi1-6TRoCc8gQAvD_BwE

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/US...INl2OgypI2hMjl_wDt8vx5-8EucrWRjBoCtigQAvD_BwE

Nick at North East Classics is a great resource as well.

Good luck. Changing the bushings in mine made a great improvement on feel.
I spoke Jeff's but was told that they should be sent to a machine shop. Perhaps I will call Jeff's and Tom's and see if they can visually inspect one before sending it out. It doesn't need to be perfect. I am putting all new bushings in it. I just need to make sure I got the right ones. I was sent a bar for an 8 cylinder. They may have sent the wrong bushings too. Thanks bro.

OP
OP
fitpays

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
Wow. $35 vs. $90 for the same part. Some places certainly are delusional.
I called Jeff's and they were nice enough to check inventory and pick one out that they said does not appear to need machined. $35 plus shipping was a way better deal that dealing with machining the existing one.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sometimes it’s not just the fact that it’s a six-cylinder versus an eight. Sometimes it’s the fact that it’s a 66 model as well!
One of our old members here had a heckuva time trying to find one that fit his 66. It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember he found variations in his versus others that were supposed to fit a six cylinder. Clutch pivot fork as well.
Maybe I’m remembering it incorrectly, but at the time it seemed like it was a 66 thing.