• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1968 170 Carburetor Help

AndrewOster

So I'm young and dumb when it comes to older names and what not but I'm redoing a 68 bronco with a inline six 170 in it and I keep having problems with my carb. It won't start every time and has a hard time idling and my choke is giving me problems. So I've been trying to find out exactly what type of carb I need to get to replace it. I really would like a electric choke so its more just hop in and drive and so I don't have to fiddle with that stupid cord. So if anybody could help me by telling me what to look for when searching for a new carb or any carb recommendations that that be amazing.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, without seeing the carb no one can ID it. There may be a small tag with a number attached. It may be an Autolite 1100. There are generic carb rebuild kits that most guys can do with good results if you are careful and clean everything really well. But you have to ID the carb.
Visit fordsix.com to learn more about your engine.
Good luck

bmbm

Definitely go to fordsix.com to id your carb and the forum will have all the carb info you will need.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
& HERE'S a piece of free information . If you do buy a used ... or a rebuilt card. DON'T TRADE YOURS IN FOR THE CORE. KEEP Your old carb ... Keep it forever.
It may well be better than the next 5 you buy.
... & THERE are several places that do rebuild these old carbs.
But again I'd want to know If I'm getting my carb back ... OR you sending me another . If their sending you another then I'd just want it & pay for the core price.
... GET MY DRIFT KEEP YOUR OLD CARB.
.......I HAD a parts store for 29 years & I even got to where I kept the customers old carbs labeled on my shelves . Just in case they had troubles with their new carb I sold them .
I could not get good carbs..
.... & YOU SAID YOUR Young & on your 1st build .. SO Honestly you might be thinking your have carb problems & It's Plugs or Distributor problems .. or other Problems .

Pharless

I have run an Autolite 1100 and currently have a Holley 1940 installed on my 170. Parts are very easy to find, and they are both relatively easy to clean and rebuild.

If you buy a new carb, make sure that is for a Bronco and not a Ford car. I'm pretty sure that the throttle linkage is specific to Broncos, so you will have to do some slight modification for a carb that is for a Falcon or Mustang.