• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1969 Dana 30 and Dana 44 questions

tdog

Hi Folks,
Got a question. I have a 1969 Bronco with a Dana 30 with drums. I have a line a on Dana 44 with disks out of a 76 F150 (Guy wants 50 bucks for it). Can I use the disks on the old Dana 30?

If not. If I purchased an Early Bronco Dana 44 with drums, Could I used the disk brakes from the F150 front end on the drum brake 44?

What should a guy pay for a used early Bronco Dana 44 drum brake front end? Disk brake front end?

I got local guy who sells EB drum front end for $400

and EB disk brake front ends for $1000 are thse prices high?

Thank you

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
1. The F150 brakes will not work on a Dana 30

2. The F150 brakes will work on a Bronco Dana 44. It's a common swap. There is a tech article on it here on the site:

http://classicbroncos.com/tech/front-disc-brake-conversion-using-all-ford-parts

3. Drum front end for $400 is at the higher end of the spectrum, but not unreasonable. I have seen them sell for that.

4. $1000 for a disc front end is overpriced. I sold one in near perfect condition with some nice upgrades for $800 a couple of years ago. $600 - $750 is the range I have seen more commonly.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
That is a great price for the 76 F-150 dana 44. Even if you don't go that way, it would be an easy flip for more dinero.

John

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
ya dont pass on the F150 disks as long as you get everything including knuckles, spindles, hub, disks, calipers, lockouts, etc. Everything from the knuckle out. I paid 100 for mine and i thought that was a good deal.

You can sell that stuff or save it for a drum brake early bronco axle. That f150 swap is a common one and better than a stock bronco axle with stock disk brakes.

OP
OP
T

tdog

Thanks for the help!!!! I will see if that guy still has the front end. Thanks

2busy

Loc.
Harrisonville, MO
The '76 F150 may have larger tapered holes for the tie rods, but this is usually not a big deal. You can upgrade your tie rods, use adapters, crossover steering, etc.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You may even consider using the complete f150 axle either for a full width swap or shorten it to bronco side and then you will have a D44 with discs. Of course you'll probably need about 3.5in of lift to be able to run the F150 D44.

OP
OP
T

tdog

OK Bronco folks, My dilemma has been solved. Found this advertised in town here.

1976 Bronco Dana 44 with radius arms fully rebuilt with Yukon axles, Yukon Super Joints, Yukon Spool, Yukon 5:13 gears, 3/8 thick diff cover, new ball joinst and brakes and rotors, all new seals. Wild Horse 4 degree bushings on the radius arms. Has a bad lock out on drivers side, Spindles have been drilled for Hiem Joint Steering linkage. Linkage is attached. $2000 invested asking $700 obo.

Just picked it up for 400 Bucks. Damn excited. plus the guy threw in the stock L and R shafts, It came with some billet 1" or 3/4"? wheel spacers and a new driveshaft.

Thinking about throwing it in with the 5:13 gears and spool. Running the 3:50s in the rear for the street driving and build a pumpkin for the rear with 5:13 and throw it if I ever trail it. 33" tall tire, dana 20 with stock 3 spd. This going to be street rig for the most part. I will just a make a lock out for the transfer case shift arm so it cant be moved and leave it in 2h.

Looks like I am on to the next problem and there are plenty with this ol girl.

Thank you