• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1972 Bronco

Kniteopp

Loc.
Kennewick WA
Hi Guys,
So awhile back I had mentioned had bought a Bronco finally but had never posted pics of it here. So here are some pics.
It's a '72 with a 302, 3 on the floor, twin stick. 2.5 susp lift, 33's, dual shocks
Has the dana 44 front and 9 rear geared 3.50. Disc brake conversion is already in it. All new bushings. Clutch is new but they didn't resurface the flywheel for some reason.

Since I got it I have cut out all the rusted areas..wasn't bad really. Por 15'd the bed except for passenger side, will finish that next week. Dropped the aux tank, it was shot. Sanded down this last weekend so it's nearly ready for primer.
Rust spots that were bad were floor pan, passenger rear door post. Pretty much it. Everything else was minor.
Tuned the engine in so it runs smooth as butter. Need to resurface flywheel one of these days, has some chatter. Mechanical is sound.
Wheel wells are cut out, going to work with a guy down in portland and fab a custom setup.
In any case next several posts will be pictures. I have a really, really bad head cold right now:(

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kniteopp

Loc.
Kennewick WA
Black and red, black being the primary. I am considering the accents in metallic copper instead of red as a homage to the trucks original color. just not sure how that would look.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
The copper would look good, and a bit more unique than the black.

Did yours have early style doors on, or did you modify the door frames to be removable? Love the look. If you modded them, care to share any tips?

OP
OP
K

Kniteopp

Loc.
Kennewick WA
I can take pictures and so you can see what was done. The truck came with the frames already removable. Looks like the welds were simply drilled out so I will be modifying it a bit more so that the frames are in there solid but can still be taken out.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
That would be awesome, thanks! I'm worried/wondering about how it will affect the fitment with the hardtop on. I spent a good amount of time tweaking both my doors so all the seams lined up and they shut/sealed well with the HT on. Not sure I'm ready to give that up just for the frames to be removable in summer. I'm wondering if when you drill out the spot welds you wouldn't be able to add a little adjustability into the frame setup when mounting with nuts&bolts...

OP
OP
K

Kniteopp

Loc.
Kennewick WA
I will get pics of the window frames tomorrow.Just as they were, they were sitting really loose in the door and it didn't help that the door/window seals are shot to hell and back.
From what I can tell though, sealing correctly to the top of the hardtop wouldn't be the issue since you could drill for the exact height you want or just use where the welds were. The fitting problem will be along that back line rising from the rear door post, if it isn't exact there will be issues. There doesn't seem to be any way of securing the windo frame on that front edge but I will have to look at it closer. I have a horrible head cold and didn't feel up to going out there.

OP
OP
K

Kniteopp

Loc.
Kennewick WA
For fireball. The welds were drilled out on both sides. I will have to find a way to secure them as they are kinda wobbly. The PO had drilled some holes ,as you can see, in the bottom of the frame but they don't line up right unless the window is raised 1" up off the door. Unless I figure out a way to secure the window frames I will be re-welding them to the door, although I really do like the look when the top is off. I don't want to secure simply using self tapping screws so I will have to see what I can find at the hardware store that would work. I may weld a nut on the back and use a short bolt with rubber washers. Problem I think is going to be if the nut hits the window bracket, then it wouldn't go in...hmm..
Suggestions welcome!

20130423171856.jpg

20130423171828.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kniteopp

Loc.
Kennewick WA
My helpers. They helped sand, clean and por15 the roll cage. Of course the wife wasn't happy that their hands are now stained black. The oldest (5) did the entire left side of the roll cage himself and I didn't have to go back over it.

20130424162638.jpg

20130424173225.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kniteopp

Loc.
Kennewick WA
oh and no I did not worry about door handles etc. they are completely messed up from previous spray paint jobs before I got it. They will be replaced in any case. I know...not the right way but it was my way haha.

matts460

It will be about month before the POR15 wears off! LOL Looking great man! It will be a few days till i call ya weve been on the road in the bronco headed to springfeild to the smoor offroad park.

OP
OP
K

Kniteopp

Loc.
Kennewick WA
aight, have fun that the offroad park, sounds like a blast. Give me a call and brag about it haha. Lotsa pics I hope!

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
window frames

Are the frames themselves not threaded holes?

Pretty sure the OEM setup is short bolts going through the door and into the frame to secure it in place. The frame isn't that thick, but has at least a few threads to secure everything. Your photo above looks like the 3 holes in the frame are threaded? Are they not? Am I blind?!

OP
OP
K

Kniteopp

Loc.
Kennewick WA
no they are not threaded from what i can tell which is probably why the PO just had them sitting in the door. They are also not aligned correctly either:(
I will plug weld and then re-drill holes that align properly and thread them.
All that was done was that he drilled out the spot welds and called it good.