• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1973 3 speed to C4 conversion

slater73

What modifications to the tub, would I need to properly install a c4 into my 73. The mechanical is not the problem, I just want factory type results, is this possible?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Shouldnt need to change anything to the tub, just put an auto column in if you want a column shift.

OP
OP
S

slater73

3 speed to C4

I plan on using the auto column, I just didn't know if the floor was different like the j shifter holes. I have never even seen a auto bronco. Thanks for the answers. Slater

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I am pretty sure the shifter hole is in the same spot, mine was converted to a C4 before me and nothing was changed for the t-case shifter.

TDS-03

Loc.
Monterey Park, CA
Converted mine a few weeks ago. Floor all stays the same unless you go with a non-D20 transfer case.

Shifter is an issue, but sounds like you have a column shifter covered. Only other thing is what to do with the clutch pedal. You will need something to block the hole from the clutch linkage, and either find an auto pedal assembly or find some other way of dealing with the extra pedal. Have heard of just removing it from the assembly, cutting it off, welding it down for options.

Mine still there, have not decided yet.

Fairly easy swap as long as you have all the pieces.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The 3 speed and the C-4 are the same length. So the T-case is in the same place, shifter is in the same hole, and the drive shafts are the same length.

widowmaker77

Contributor
getting rid of the clutch pedal is easy. There are some brackets mounted on the firewall behind the dash with a shaft that goes through all of them the pedals pivot on this shaft all you have to do is take the retainer pin out,then push or knock the shaft back far enough to get the clutch pedal off but be careful because there is a plastic bushing in the bracket that the rod goes through if you damage it I dont know where you will find a new one.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
When removing my clutch pedal, I first removed the driver air box vent. This gives plenty of room to knock that shaft out enough.
You might have to source a few kick down rods from other FMOCO vehicles in the junkyard and make one that fits your EB properly.
As metioned above, these transmissions are the same length. Your cross memebr 4-bolt pattern on the frame rails should be an exact match. This can be a good way to check a proper install.
Have fun, its a great upgrade.
Jed

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
You can buy Automatic pedal assemblies at most of the major bronco venders. I would think that would be easiest. Then you could sell your manual pedal assembly to re-coup some of your money.

ShortBus

I am almost done with my swap. It went pretty smooth. Tom's Bronco and ACE Hardware had everything I needed to do it. I should get to drive it today for the first time.

ShortBus

2" body lift made everything even better. If you do the lift before pulling the tranny, you will have a ton of room to work!

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Auto Trans Cooler: I've had great luck w/ my Flex-a-Lite cooler and fan assembly about $120 and $15 for a themostat. Its very quite, looks good and easily accepts the barb push-on fittings. Also putthe barb fittings on the trans so hooking up lines is a snap.