• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Restoration/preservation

Boss Hog

My plan is to start taking care of the rust spots panel by panel. I sanded down most parts, then grinder with sand pad, then wire brush for the stuburn parts. I used RO etching primer to cover until I can get ready to paint. Ultimate plan is frame restoration. I got to replace driver kick panel, then rocker panels on both side the under the hood there is a spot on each side. Any thoughts would be well taken. Here are some pics. So far im lucky, no rust came thru.
bronco rust 006.jpg

Passenger rear quater 001.jpg

Passenger rear quater 002.jpg

Passenger rear quater 003.jpg

Passenger rear quater 004.jpg

Passenger rear quater 005.jpg

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
you did a pretty good job but to be honest that whole panel needs to come off to get all the rust out of that seam.

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

you did a pretty good job but to be honest that whole panel needs to come off to get all the rust out of that seam.
How do I do that? I was planning on going behind the panel and cleaning it, sanding and then primering it. Im new to this so all the help will be well taken.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Meh, I think you did fine, there is some pitting there but not many dont after 40 years.
Like you said, try and get behind there up in the seam to get it cleaned and rust proofed.
Was there any rust through showing on the inside of the inner quarter? If not than you should be safe.

Looks good, keep up the restoration!

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

Meh, I think you did fine, there is some pitting there but not many dont after 40 years.
Like you said, try and get behind there up in the seam to get it cleaned and rust proofed.
Was there any rust through showing on the inside of the inner quarter? If not than you should be safe.

Looks good, keep up the restoration!

I did the dash trick and pull in the garage and put the light behind and didnt see anything. There is what appears to be the original under coat peeling off but not rust in that area. I went to the car wash and pressure sprayed every inch of the under carriage. I plan on cutting out areas were its rusted thru. I was thinking of buying a new tail gate since it has a few really bad spots. Any ideas on what metal to use to patch. Also, what would a guy use to get the putty looking material in some of the joint areas to go with a weld bead. I love driving my eb. The torque is ridiculus and not to mention, the " That sure is a nice bronco, or Is that a scout" No mam, thats a 74 bronco. O, it sure is nice. hehe

Pony2

Loc.
Lenoir City Tn.
I just finished my top i used a dremel and a cutting disk on it to get the seam sealer out and used a rust converter i sprayed into the seam before i primed and resealed,seems to have done the trick just fine.

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

I just finished my top i used a dremel and a cutting disk on it to get the seam sealer out and used a rust converter i sprayed into the seam before i primed and resealed,seems to have done the trick just fine.

Thanks pony, that make sense. I wasnt for sure if that stuff really worked. My wife made me buy some last night when we were buying primer. Didnt want to let it sit to long bare metal. What brand of rust converter did you use.

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

What carb

Can some one tell me what carb I have and what the wire goes to? Im guessing its a 4 barrell. I love the power of my current motor. Is there any thing I can do to freshen it up. Never really rebuilt a motor but would like to start getting a game plan ready for when I break it down this winter to complete my frame off restoration.

Pony2

Loc.
Lenoir City Tn.
looks like a 2100 does it say motorcraft on the top? the rust converter i used was called ospho now its called SEM rust converter i got it from Oreilys it is the same stuff i used 20 years ago in a new bottle i wipe it on and let it work prime after its dry.Do not use the rust converter from permatex tried it and it failed,the primer would not adhere to the surface i used it on. keep on truckin'!

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

looks like a 2100 does it say motorcraft on the top? the rust converter i used was called ospho now its called SEM rust converter i got it from Oreilys it is the same stuff i used 20 years ago in a new bottle i wipe it on and let it work prime after its dry.Do not use the rust converter from permatex tried it and it failed,the primer would not adhere to the surface i used it on. keep on truckin'!
Yep, it says motocraft in a couple of places. Is 2100 a pretty good carb? What about that wire?

Pony2

Loc.
Lenoir City Tn.
from what i hear on here it is a good carb the wire i believe is for the throttle positioner it is hooked to i am not sure if you need it on youre vehicle someone else may be able to give you a better description/answer than that by all means i am not a profesional at hese things just have some experience to share:)

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

Thanks bro. I did a google search and I guess they put them in alot of diff vehicles, mostly jeep. Once again thanks.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
The 2100 is a very good carb. My 74 looks just like that one, wires and all! Pretty sure that's the stock carb that came on your Bronco.

What are your plans? Are you going use for trails at all? If yes, I'd keep the 2100 - it's a good off-road carb. If it's street only and you want to hop it up a bit, you might want to get an aluminum 4-bbl manifold and a small Holley or Edlebrock 4-bbl carb.

OP
OP
B

Boss Hog

The 2100 is a very good carb. My 74 looks just like that one, wires and all! Pretty sure that's the stock carb that came on your Bronco.

What are your plans? Are you going use for trails at all? If yes, I'd keep the 2100 - it's a good off-road carb. If it's street only and you want to hop it up a bit, you might want to get an aluminum 4-bbl manifold and a small Holley or Edlebrock 4-bbl carb.

No off-road. I plan to make it a sunday driver and weekend out with the family. Will look into the manifold and 4bbl carb. I plan on taking it to the car wash with a can of degreaser to clean up the engine area to see what I got. The only other mechanical changes I want to make is disk & powerbrakes, and get it to top out higher than 70 - 75 mph on the highway.