• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1975 Dana 60

tdog

My buddy got a free truck. He wants the engine. I have not seen it yet but he described it as 1975 4x4 3/4 ton and says the truck sits up tall and has BIG front hubs. Could this be a Dana 60 or 70 front end. and factory high boy? What transfer case would this have? Should i grab the transfer case? can these front ends be cut down to be used in a bronco? The back half of the truck is going to be turned into trailer.

redtail

Highboys came with HD D44's and divorced 205's. ANything could have been swapped in however. And yes, the axles can be shortened.

brewchief

Probably a low pinion big hub 44, t case should be a divorced 203 or 205, if it has a 435 trans that can be used in a bronco with the proper adapter.

OP
OP
T

tdog

Thanks guys! My buddy is asking what is a big hub Dana 44 and transfer cases/trans are worth? Wants to know if they are worth cutting out or send it to the scrap yard with the rest of the truck? I really appreciate the help.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! My buddy is asking what is a big hub Dana 44 and transfer cases/trans are worth? .

Typically, they are not worth much. That is some of the least desirable equipment when it comes to swaps.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
75 Hi-Boy would have a closed knuckle, kingpin, drum brake, HD Dana 44 front and a full float Dana 60 rear. The spring perches are cast into the front axle tubes which would probably mean having to retube. IMO not worth the cost or effort. The divorced T-case also only has a 1.96:1 low range and would be tough to adapt to an EB, also not worth the effort IMO. I vote for scrapping. On a side note, I have a 75 Hi-Boy that I changed the front axle for a disk brake, ball joint front out of a 76.
Mark.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I paid $500 for a hp 44 full width and a dana 60 rear end.

:eek: sorry to hear that man...

Any D60 that is pre 78' isn't worth looking at. Low spine count, closed knuckle design and going to be sketchy to find parts for.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The spicer "big" style external hubs if they are in good shape can bring some decent $$ on Ebay.

OP
OP
T

tdog

Just seen the truck believe it to be a 77. Has a 351m in it. The front end looked to be a Dana 44 and the pinion was high in the casting. It has disks but one side has a big hub and the other side is small.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
75 Hi-Boy would have a closed knuckle, kingpin, drum brake, HD Dana 44 front and a full float Dana 60 rear. The spring perches are cast into the front axle tubes which would probably mean having to retube. IMO not worth the cost or effort. The divorced T-case also only has a 1.96:1 low range and would be tough to adapt to an EB, also not worth the effort IMO. I vote for scrapping. On a side note, I have a 75 Hi-Boy that I changed the front axle for a disk brake, ball joint front out of a 76.
Mark.

Your are partially correct. The (LAST) of the TRUE HI BOYS had a low pinion dana 44 with DISC brakes. The lock out hubs were huge and I think LOL the allen head wrench size to remove the locking mechanism was a 3/8" . Ford used three different dana 44 axles in the Hi Boys. Small wet knuckle(SHOE BRAKE), Large Wet knuckle (SHOE BRAKE) and the last was the open knuckle with disc brakes (dual piston). All are low pinion.
Some body whom is doing a resto mod on a hi boy would love that axle.

swampu

Loc.
Biloxi
Shamu, I don't understand your post talking about the different dana 44 in the "Hi Boys". You describe the last as an open knuckle with disc brakes (which I have) but say they are all low pinion. I thought High Pinion ment the pinion was above the ring gear, (which I have)

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I hate it when peple start talking about Hi Boys like its a dick measuring contest. There is someone lore and misinformation about these trucks it makes me sick. Nobody cares if it was a hi boy, low boy or a piece of rotting shit. Parts are parts-

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just seen the truck believe it to be a 77. Has a 351m in it. The front end looked to be a Dana 44 and the pinion was high in the casting. It has disks but one side has a big hub and the other side is small.

Quite a different animal than what you first posted.

The disk brakes (knuckles and out) are usefull for converting an EB to disk brakes IF you are going the 8-lug route. The rear 60 from that truck is what is in the back of my '69..narrowed 6".

You can use the HP center section too, but its far easier to get that from an F-150 or 78/79 Bronco....to get the wedges.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Shamu, I don't understand your post talking about the different dana 44 in the "Hi Boys". You describe the last as an open knuckle with disc brakes (which I have) but say they are all low pinion. )

That is correct. The change to the HP 44. reverse arch springs, married t-case, and the different width frame all coincided...

There were a few oddballs in the '76-77 period..very few...that mixed and matched some of the drivetrain details. Locally there is an F-350 crew cab,'76 I believe..with low-pinion D60 front axle, a 351m engine, and a divorced 205 t-case. %)

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Shamu, I don't understand your post talking about the different dana 44 in the "Hi Boys". You describe the last as an open knuckle with disc brakes (which I have) but say they are all low pinion. I thought High Pinion ment the pinion was above the ring gear, (which I have)

Here is a hi boy dana 44 low pinion axle. Note the big lock out hubs.
The high pinion will have tapered hubs.

Attachments

• Hi Boy.jpg
    Hi Boy.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 22