• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1975 Smog pump removed

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
One groove in the engine pulleys was to run the power steering pump belt. The other groove in pulleys ran the alternator belt. The alternator has a double groove pulley as the second groove ran a small belt up to the smog pump mounted right above it. the engine has 3 belts. You will also probably find that once you pull the cast iron alternator/smog pump bolts and remove the bracket most of the bolts that were used in the bracket are now too long and you will have to source replacement bolts.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I went through this last year. Check the DSO of the truck. It may not have come with a smog pump if it is a non CA truck.

I think the biggest problem would arise if you do not have the cylinder heads with thermactor ports on the exhaust manifold side.

Hi samD I am converting 76 back to smog right now, since we are in CA. I joined to gather info for this project and this seems to be a great avenue for pictures and details. I don't have much. If you or anybody else happens to have parts laying around after removal, I'd be happy to buy them from you. I only have charcoal canister & smog pump/ bracket right now. ...and an air cleaner with a buncha missing stuff.

typerformance

Hey guys, thank you. I didnt mean to take of this thread here, sorry about that. It does look like it came with the smog pump from factory. There are some home-made aluminum plugs that bolt to the exhaust inj ports on drivers rear and pass front head. So tells me it must have had something there from facotry.

tommyg

Contributor
Hi samD I am converting 76 back to smog right now, since we are in CA. I joined to gather info for this project and this seems to be a great avenue for pictures and details. I don't have much. If you or anybody else happens to have parts laying around after removal, I'd be happy to buy them from you. I only have charcoal canister & smog pump/ bracket right now. ...and an air cleaner with a buncha missing stuff.

came across this thread, as I need to change out the alternator on my '74 and considering taking off my smog equipment which is all there. Not sure if this is helpful at all, but here are a few pics of my current setup. I can take some better or more detailed pics if helpful at all, just let me know:

9hqg3s.jpg

2qvyx3b.jpg

25zmmg8.jpg

x43eie.jpg