• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1976 calif smog equipment nightmare

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
They may not need Biannual testing but bring one in the state for the first time registration it needs to have emission equipment intact. The state may or may not ask to see it. Make sure it has a 49 state emission decal on the valve cover may make compliance easier.

Either way if you get dragged into the referee station good luck dealing with them. My last dealing with them bastards is you take it in and the first item wrong it fails and stops the check. they tel you the item you failed. then you fix that and take it back and they go over it again until something causes the next failure and that stops the check again. You get to do this back and forth until you get it cleared. Do your steps wrong or piss off the inspector and you get labeled as a gross polluter and for the rest of the cars life you get annual smog checks.

There no page out of some book that prints out what your actual car needs. Truck has to pass both visual and performance checks and some checks like the gas cap checks that were not in effect when the truck was built.

I've had more than my fair share of run-ins with the California department of misery.