• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1976 Ranger - yes another new guy...

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Well delurking here finally after picking up my 76 Ranger a few weeks ago. New to early broncos but not Broncos in general as I own a "modified" 94 Fullsize as well.

Anyway on to what you really care about!

1976 Ford Bronco Ranger - I have always wanted a early bronco and I have been looking for years, but everyone wanted so much money for one without rust or one that was a basket case.. finally found one in Butte Montana and flew from Denver to Butte and drove her 800 miles home!

IMG_0219.JPG

The Good:
Unrestored, 97.5% rust free, no real dents and never been in an accident or offroad incident, disc brakes, power steering, everything pretty much works as is.. just needs a good going through and refresh and then think about what I want to do next.. has 99,998 miles on her as she sits... Iam keeping it stock, with safety and tasteful upgrades for the future and its not getting cut.. maybe LUBER? hmmmm

The Bad
There is an area of rust on the back passenger side quarter panel and I dont know how bad it is yet.. its just in the seam but will have to remove the inside covers to get to the fender well and see.. as always I expect surprises and would be surprised if the rust wasn't worse after i start looking through the body and inner panels... we shall see.

There is an electrical gremlin, headlights like to flicker off and on periodically over rough road spots.. probably a short in the wire harness.. have a feeling its near the taillights. no biggie after chasing a short in my 94 fullsize... after I go through the drivetrain i will chase down the electrical problems and fix them.

Transmission has a slight leak, I think its from sitting up in the dry cold of Montana.. so the seals probably need to be replaced. Again not a big deal, i will pull the trans and TC and rebuild or reseal them as needed.

Anyway here are some more pics.. all with my phone for now but hopefully have some better shots soon.

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

thumb.display.php

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

My plans are to keep her stock and upgrade with reliability and safety in mind. My original plans were to restore the truck to factory specs and as she would have been new. Unfortunately the original engine was removed in 1983... so that kinda frees me up to do what I want with her. Now I thinking a LUBAR is in order and upgrade the brakes, suspension and interior to be a reliable and fun DD. The original color was Yellow, haven't pulled the tag info so not sure the exact color but I will do that soon. I kinda like the blue/white so one day I will have to pull the tub off and have it professionally done... but for now the paint is good enough ;)

First thing I will be doing is removing the front bumper and winch as I really have no need of either.. I have the original bumper from the original owner and will put that back on, then I will have to get it registered here in Denver. Unfortunately thanks to our prior governor a few years ago i will have to get the truck to pass emissions since i live in the city.. crossing my fingers on that. Then.. well then we will see, i have a few other projects going and need to get them off my plate to proceed with this one ;)

I guess I can leave a photo of my other rig ;)

IMG_3894.jpg

Hope to be posting soon with some progress!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Saweeeeeeeeeeet!! CONGRATS and Welcome aboard man!!

Glad she held up for ya on the 800 mile trip. That's great.

BOTH are Nice Rigs!!!

and YAY for keeping it UnCut. ;D

nchernecke

Loc.
Louisville
Excellent looking EB, let me welcome you as a new guy myself!

On the headlights...check your high beam swith. I was having the same issue and that turned out to be the problem.

Nathan

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Excellent looking EB, let me welcome you as a new guy myself!

On the headlights...check your high beam swith. I was having the same issue and that turned out to be the problem.

Nathan

also could be the headlight switch. welcome to the madness both bronco's are nice:cool:

frenchy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome to the addiction and the forum. Nice EB and full size.
frenchy

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Welcome and thats a common issue on a C4 AUTO trans.Check your grounds to on the head light issue or you can upgrade the HL harness with a WH unit.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have whats looks to be a good rig to start with, the doors and all look to line up nice and all the good stuff in place PWR steering, pwr disc, and c4. Check everthing out and go have fun and welcome to CB.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site. Looks like a really nice EB, hard to find them in that condition these days. Be sure to keep us posted on any upgrades you make and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have along the way.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I will check the high beam floor switch and the grounds, I have a feeling there are a few electrical gremlins a foot in the thing, but like I said after tackling my 94 wire harness i feel much more confident in fixing this one.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me what you picked that girl up for?

I'm always trying to gauge where the market it at...in case I get the itch to adopt another one.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Welcome! You say the original color was yellow? Usually Rangers with the green houndstooth interior were either dark or light green. Not sure I've seen a yellow Ranger with green interior. Might have been special ordered??

Anyways it looks like a real nice start to a restoration. Lubers are cool.

Nice looking full size too! I think I've seen you over on FSB, right? There are a number of us here on both sites.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Welcome! You say the original color was yellow? Usually Rangers with the green houndstooth interior were either dark or light green. Not sure I've seen a yellow Ranger with green interior. Might have been special ordered??

Anyways it looks like a real nice start to a restoration. Lubers are cool.

Nice looking full size too! I think I've seen you over on FSB, right? There are a number of us here on both sites.

Actually i guess it could be light green... i just removed the interior and it looks like it.. however iam shade blind so not sure %)

Yup iam on FSB too.. same nickname...

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I will be the first to say it. You got a smokin' deal!

Congratulations on the sweet ride, and nice 90's Bronco too.

Yep, itsabronco. Any rust you think you have, triple it! :) Itsabronco.
Rust on an EB is like the cockroach. For everyone you see, there are 10x more lurking in the shadows.

OP
OP
landshark99

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I will be the first to say it. You got a smokin' deal!

Congratulations on the sweet ride, and nice 90's Bronco too.

Yep, itsabronco. Any rust you think you have, triple it! :) Itsabronco.
Rust on an EB is like the cockroach. For everyone you see, there are 10x more lurking in the shadows.

well i have found some rust on the inner fenders in the engine compartment.

i know I have rust on the body seam on the right rear, i just don't know how bad it is yet.. I think i will have to really get up in the fender to see how bad it is...

I have yet to get under the truck, but will here soon.