• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 Bronco rear polyurethane fuel tank

69dblcopo

Loc.
Rome, GA
The fuel tank in my 1977 Bronco was changed out in 2007 with a 23 gallon metal tank. My parts guy says the poly tanks for the rear are no longer available? Does anyone know of a supplier for the OEM style tanks?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Poly tank for the '77 was a one year only part that isn't reproduced. A used one is your only option for replacement.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm sure you could retrofit one for the other if you were clever. But it would certainly involve more work hunting down or fabbing up your own early style mounts, some re-routing of fuel lines and electricals and whatnot, making a T-notch for the strap (assuming it's not in the '77 frame already that is) and likely a few other things.

In other words, anything is doable. It just depends on how much work you actually want to go to and how much your time is worth. At some point of diminishing returns, it's probably more cost effective for some of us to simply buy a large capacity tank.
But if you can find the early supports and tank, fit them to the frame, you could be good to go
I think it's been tried before. Don't remember the results though.

If it was me I'd hold out for the larger '77 stock tank and correct skid plate/mount, or if I didn't have two friendly members offering me one, get an aftermarket one instead.

Paul

samamarshall

I have a ‘77 poly tank someone can have (in STL Missouri). Appears to be in fine shape...you can even have the old gas that’s in it. No metal clam shell skid plate though, it turned into a rusty flakey pile of dust where it mounts.

Anyone know if the stock holes in the frame are used for mounting the aftermarket tanks? One is rusted out and wonder if I need to rethread or just repair the frame and ignore the hole.

6713f1d46ad2d01fe96f87a21a3ac21e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not that I know of. The typical aftermarket 23 gallon replacements are expected to get their own holes at least in some positions usually.

Our Sherman will utilize two existing holes in the crossmember in front of the tank, but I'm not sure if those holes are there on all '77's, or if they're there only on earlier models.
But the side rails on all years get drilled for ours and BCB's tanks at least.

Pretty sure that the Aero gets new holes drilled.
The Sunset Metal tank uses a strap, so not applicable.

Paul