• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1977 - Complete Body Replacement

msommer001

Had the tub of the bronco sandblasted and it looks like swiss cheese or worse from the drivers seat platform to the core support and there is concern about condition of the cowl and firewall. I have a great guy working on it and he does not think it is good money spent to fabricate and install a ton of sheet metal bit by bit so I am looking into a complete tub with front clip replacement. The link below are for some assemblies I am considering most of the accessories like the hood, doors, top, windshield...are in good shape and can be used on the replacement. I am also open to purchasing a used body if the condition and price is right. I am not after a frame off restoration but I want a safe and fun daily driver.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or recommendation of places to get the best buy for this assembly would very helpful.

http://www.my4x4parts.com/body-assemblies/

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
After all the hours of labor and years passing to get mine on the road, I would pay that price for a body in a heart beat.
The plus in doing it myself was all the knowledge gained (and tools bought :)). But I would have been driving much sooner and thinking of all the time, the price seems OK.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
don't forget that even with one of the new bodies you will have body work to do.

If it were me, I would search high and low for a pristine survivor tub.

Or a complete rig, use the body, and sell the rolling chassis.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I think the new tub and sheet metal is a great idea! Starting with NEW parts and modern standards, you can build a Bronco better than it was built by Ford 40 years ago.

The 77' model had a couple of unique features, namely the exterior fuel doors and the inner sheet metal for the filler hose-to tank. It appears that the new bodies offered are not a 77' replica, but cover through the 76' model year?

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
I can't believe the price for a tub. Are those two the only options?

How many hours would it take to assemble the $5000 in body panels? If it took 200 hours to get it right, that's $25 per hour. I'm sure they have invested a great amount of money into assembly jigs, so I don't see that as a crazy number. I was expecting to see them in the 13-15K range.

OP
OP
msommer001

msommer001

I talked with Bronco Connection today and plan to visit their shop in the next couple of weeks. They can assemble the body using my doors, hood, tailgate, and fenders to ensure best fit. Plus they basically finish the assembly to the point were it can be primed and painted. Thanks for all the feedback, I am looking forward to getting this moving...

OP
OP
msommer001

msommer001

You are right, I will need to provided them with my current rear fender to ensure both gas doors are there.