• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1990 351w/5.8 (good donor motor?)

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I had a post about a month ago about my 302 and as per your suggestions I have been looking for a donor motor. I had a guy send me a message and he says he has a 1990 351w out of a truck that is disassembled and he will sell it dirt cheap. I am definitely going to look at it but I was curious if it is a decent year for that motor. I would also like to get away from the fuel injection, can you just add a 4v intake and carb? Also what oil pan will I need or will the 4x4 truck oil pans work? I have a 3.5" SL and a 1" BL so I have a little extra room. I am sure I will have some more questions but that's a good start for now.
As always Thanks in advance!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
As long as you are either okay with a flat tappet cam or retrofitting a roller cam.

Not all bad there, some have had problems with the roller blocks cracking at the cam bores.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks that's good to know. I will look at that area a little closer when I go see it. I appreciate the info!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks,
I had a 351 in my last Bronco, it was out of an 85 ford van. I had it redone and loved it. It was carbureted, which is what I prefer. I just wanted to be sure I could do the same with a newer block. I plan on using the 302 timing cover so I can use a mechanical fuel pump and install a 4v intake.
I am going to check it out tomorrow, I will post up what I find.

I read a few posts on oil pans, I see the crown vic is popular as well as the double sumps. Either one better than the other?

Thanks again for the replies, always appreciated!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Good thing the engine is a one piece rear main. Being it was EFI it probably has minimal cylinder wall wear.

I would call the '90 an upper middle of the pack of choices. There are better, and there are way worse years. That engine should have every good thing except the provisions for a roller cam.

The truck pan typically works. The diff tends to make a dent in the pan and after that all is good. Again, works, there are better choices and way worse choices.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
That's what I am hoping for is minimal wear. A roller would be nice but I have never had one so I won't know the difference. I have had good luck with older motors , I hope this turns out the same.
Thanks for the reply, every bit of help I get is much appreciated!

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Well it ended up being bad. Motor had been bored .030 and #1 cylinder had a score in it. Luckily the engine was apart so I could see the damage.

Thanks again for all the responses, I am sure I will have more questions on the next one I find!
Have a good one!

4x4man514

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Augusta,Georgia
Well for what it's worth, my 90 didn't have a roller cam but it did have the bosses so I was able to drill and tap it to fit a roller cam.