• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1997 351w Truck serp set up

luderchris

Bronco Guru
Loc.
SouthEast PA
I am finishing up collecting parts for my EFI swap. I am using a 97 351w out of an F250, with the addition of a gt40 upper/lower intake, etc. Will I be able to use the serp set up that is on the 97 now? Or do I have to transfer the pulley set up from my current 69 351w carbed engine? Or get an Explorer serp set up? What is the advantage of a serp set up over what's on my carbed engine?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

408Bronco

Loc.
Midwest
I am in the process of the same thing, i'm using a '95 351 with the truck bracket for the alternator and a van saginaw pump bracket, had to make a custom mount for the pump bracket as it sat right on top of the steering box, I also went with the BC Bronco water pump for the serpentine set up, havent had it running yet, but the pulleys line up after shimming behind the water pump pulley where it bolts up to the pump. I used a smaller pulley for the smog delete so I could run the same radiator.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The truck serp setup is pretty long in the front. Make some measurements before trying to squeeze it in. Explorer serp works very well on a 351w. Drawback is you'll need to do something with the balance of the balancer.

The serp systems have the advantage when running high amp alternators required with EFI.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
97 is an oddball year for accessory setups. I pulled my 351w out of an F350 chassis cab rig. The accessories length were within an 1/8 inch of the more common 87-92? mustang set up minus the fan. I mixed and matched the parts from both to get what I wanted.

FYI this motor also had a roller cam in it as well. I didn't degree it to find anything about it but if someone is good with part numbers I could get it off the cam.

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
I am running all the serp stuff off of a 89 f250. I had to clearance the ps pump bracket a little for some extra room between my 4x4x2 steering box and the bracket, it was a tight fit. I am running bc broncos bi-directional water pump and a derale 17" electric fan and stock radiator. I did not install the smog pump, just used a shorter belt. I was also able to bolt my original alternator right in with no problem. I also have a 2" body lift which might make a difference as the ac eliminator pulley sits up pretty high. hope this helps.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
ken the ID on a stock cam mean nothing to the Ford parts guys, I have three of those camshafts laying around, all have various numbers and etchings, nobody at Ford could help ID them other than saying they came out of truck xyz after i told them they came out of truck xyz.

The best you can do is look up what cam should have been in that year you pulled it of and then if your really interested, degree the cam to verify. For my money and time, it was easier and cheaper to buy the cam i wanted.