• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2 wheel drive C4

Big_Daddy359

Loc.
North Alabama
Will a c4 out of a 2 wheel drive work in a bronco? Can the transfer case be mated up to use? Do I have to have a transmission only from a Bronco? I recently had mine rebuilt and the guy told me C4’s we’re getting hard to get parts. I didn’t think to ask him if all c4s were interchangeable.

Quick & Dirty

The 2wd has a longer output shaft, so that has to be swapped to the short 4x4 one. There are also the 164 tooth big bellhousing, pan fill version and the 157 tooth small bellhousing, case fill versions to be aware of. Early ones had different spline counts on the input shaft and valve body differences. '71 and later(-'81) are the "updated" versions. There is also the C5 ("82-86), which was a lockup converter version that is easily mistaken for a C4.

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
To use a 2wd C4, you have to disassemble the whole thing to install the 4x4 one as stated above. So, you're essentially rebuilding the whole thing, to end up with a lighter duty transmission in a 4x4. If you're just driving on roads, this will work fine. If you're offroading, you have a weak transmission. By the time you upgrade the 2wd version to make it 4x4 worthy, you might as well have tracked down an EB C4 and paid the higher price to begin with.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Use a 1970 or newer preferably a pan fill unit from a truck or van then you need a conversion Kit from advance adapters. then you will also need to deal with flex plate and converter, shifter, down shift linkage should also find a Bronco deep pan and filter tube.