• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

20+ gallon aluminum tank

DustDevilOffRd

Loc.
Long Island
Im trying to find somebody who knows of a company that makes an aluminum main tank for the early broncos. Anybody have any insight or know of somebody who did one already?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Used to be the realm of custom only. Not sure if anyone is currently making a production one or not. Haven't seen or heard of it, but it would be nice to see one.
What effect, if any, do modern fuel mixes have on aluminum?

Main thing in the past was cost and bashability. Now with more EB's on the street only, the weight savings can be more of the benefit it should be.
Rust-proofing was not enough to pay the higher "custom" prices for most EB owners in the past I'm sure. Easy enough to use coated steel or a coating after manufacture on a steel one, and not feel so bad when you smack it repeatedly on the rocks.
I wonder if aluminum would need to be coated too, due to the odd fuel additive that might not play nice with aluminum?

I know some here have made their own, and even posted up their plans at times. Maybe someone knows a company and will chime in with info.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There ya go!
I like stainless. And that they'll make changes for you to order.

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
With aluminium tank be careful how you mount it against steel. Aluminium touching steel corrodes easily especially in moisture or salt rich conditions. Isolating the aluminium tank from the steel frame you will need to run a dedicated ground to the tank for the fuel sender to work properly.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
With alcohol in the fuel you're going to also have water. My feeling is that an aluminum tank will need some sort of liner to prevent corrosion if gasoline fueled. If diesel it's probably not worth worrying about.

zman1971

here is one for ya, came out to be 21 .7 gal, I did not want it to hang as low as the others made from 3/16, just use rubber pads between the mounts and no concerns about water we make aluminum tanks every day for boats diesel and gas ;D

Attachments

• IMG_20160125_211549707.jpg
    IMG_20160125_211549707.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20160125_211609437.jpg
    IMG_20160125_211609437.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20160125_211641500.jpg
    IMG_20160125_211641500.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 70

zman1971

unfortunately cost would be about the same as the venders out there, I am pretty busy right now and leave for Ak. in a little over a month and will be gone for a couple months, if their is enough interest in them when I get back I might think about making 4 or so, you get 2 per 4x8 sheet, I really want to make one out of ss but that gets pricy real quick.:cry:
thanks for the compliments and hopefully my bronco will be ready for the end of the summer (finally)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I too would like too know the basic price.. What do you say about diesel in that tank. When I worked at chrysleR Some of the techs said that I didn't need to put diesel in an Aluminum tank.. I said B/S because look at all the tanks sold at TSC. or built for boats. I said just too many out there for it to be a problem & your the only genius who knows about this problem..

zman1971

I too would like too know the basic price.. What do you say about diesel in that tank. When I worked at chrysleR Some of the techs said that I didn't need to put diesel in an Aluminum tank.. I said B/S because look at all the tanks sold at TSC. or built for boats. I said just too many out there for it to be a problem & your the only genius who knows about this problem..

diesel is no problem at all as mentioned above, all most all semis on the road have aluminum tanks some people say with gas and the alcohol- methanol in it will cause moister or condensation which may be true to some extent, but I would bet you get more water in the gas we get nowadays. I have no worries about it but to each their own. Some day a ss one will be in the works.