• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

2007 mustang 4.6 dohc

helmanta

hello all,

I am new here. although ive had bronco since high school. i have the oportunity to get a 2007 mustang 4.6 engine, tranny, and seats for a very reasonable price. I have a 2007 mustang convertable and am very impressed with the 325 hp and the 24mph. has anyone installed a 4.6 in an early bronco. i know the tranny wont work yet untill they make an adapter for a tr3650 to dana. I do believe that they make a bell housing for a c4 that fits though.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It has been done. Search for things like "modular 4.6" or "4.6 swap".

You can completely forget that 24 MPG, the Bronco has way more rolling and aerodynamic drag. Low teens is realistic. Don't kid youself into thinking you will get much more. under perfect conditions mid-teens. Although I don't thing 4.6DOHC and C4 will ever get into perfect condtions.

Also keep in mind that the power of those motors is up fairly high in the powerband. most people find driving a Bronco with a bunch of low end torque to be a lot more fun. But it is all about what you want and how you plan to use it. If your driving plans are for putting your foot down and keeping it would out, happy choice. IF you idle around and want controlled low end power, there are better options.

Then there is the other fun part. '07 has some fairly advanced electronics. Drive by wire throttle, etc. A friend who owns a dyno shop bought an '05 automatic just to play with. There were so many issues with hopping them up that if they got a little outside of there happy window they would shut down into limp mode. There will be a TON of work to get that engine to run correctly in a Bronco. It will want EVERY wire transplanted out of the mustang. While I have learned that this stuff is possible, it is not something that is recomended as a first swap. Do a few normal swaps, some basic early EFI swaps and lean the basics. An '07 swap will be a VERY advanced swap. You must understand the factory manuals and know what it wants to see. The days of faking a sensor with a resitor to make it run are almost gone. It expects to see the sensor change and if it doesn't, if it just sees a stuck signal, the computer will get pissy at you. Doing a swap of this caliber is one of those "if you have to ask if it can be done, you are not ready to do it".

Doing the modular motors has been done. But I wouldn't recomend it.

OP
OP
H

helmanta

well, thanks for the reply and the advice. i have already done a 5.8 out of a 91 f150 wihout too much trouble. i do have access to the entire wiring harness from the donor car, so hopefully i will get everything i need. i am mostly concerned with fitting the beast in there. i did a search and didnt come up with alot. ill give those search terms a go.

thanks

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
I'd 2nd the point about getting hung up and HP and mileage numbers. its not going to happen in a bronco.. Compared to the 4.6l truck engine the mustangs HP and torque levels are 1000 RPM higher not good for a truck.
But aside from that a few people have done it. Not sure I would go through the hassel but hey if its what you want go for it.

JRED

I tried it and gave up. I still think it can be done though. I have the motor mounts and headers from tumblin. They are good it was the wiring that got me. I have the rebuilt 4.6 for sale with all of the parts.

OP
OP
H

helmanta

i just got done stripping a 2007 gt. i got everything except the rearend and the steering wheel. talked to Van at Tumblin. He is going to send the motormounts this next week and also looking into building an adapter for the tr3650. I'll keep you posted on how it goes
Oct_14_2010_7507.jpg

Last edited:

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Talk to Modman on here also. He is in Colorado and is doing a 4.6 DOHC. I am doing one also, but no trasfer case or anything as mine will be a street rod Bronco version. Keep us post and always remember....we LOVE pics!;D

OP
OP
H

helmanta

Well the engine is setting on the motormounts. When i get home, i need to slot my transfercase crossmember and slide it forward about 2 inches. then i ordered a B&M Mega Shifter because the valve covers are too close to the steering column for the shifter to work. also i need to build a spacer plate for my steering box about 1.5"s because the power steering pump comes into contact with the steering box. i hope to have it running this time home(i work a 28 and 28 schedule) It wont move because i need to get tom woods drive shaft to build me or lengthen my rear drive line and shorten my front a tad.

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Looks like the same seats I have on my 77. 2005 mustang buckets?
Did you purchase the motor mounts or fabbed them up? If purchased how much did they cost how did it work out for you?

OP
OP
H

helmanta

they came out of a 2007. i dont think theres much difference. the motormounts came from tumberland automotive(he's on this board if you do a search) cant remember exactly how much they cost. but they werent that much. they work perfect except that i need to slide my tranny forward a tad. you will also need a bellhousing.

PABrian

Loc.
North central PA
there's a simple solution to wiring now, including the drive by wire TB. ford racing sells the control packs for the 05 & + 4.6's. includes everything you need to put the 4.6 in anything. a little spendy at around $1500, but makes life easy. also look into dunne right performance wiring. don't know their website, but if you google it, i'm sure you'll find it.

OP
OP
H

helmanta

Wiring

Thanks, if i run into a snag, i will do that. I have the entire wiring harness from the donor vehicle.

77uncut

Loc.
San Tan Valley
The hills behind your house look real familular, are you in AZ somewere? Good luck with the 4.6 swap, wish i could help with some info for you.