• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

23 Gal fuel tank vent questions.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the Bc Bronco or Wid Horses Sherman tank (They are both the same thing). I went to fill it up yesterday and gas came out of the small vent tube. I know I need to do something to Stop this from happening but dont know what. Is there a simple and cheap solution for this or am I about to get the check book out? That is a 2 part question....... I always want to do whatever I can to do it the right way but on this I am in need of a temporary fix to get me to and from super celebration if the "right way" is going to take longer than a week to get sorted out. Any help is appreciated Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the vent fitting just open with no hose on it? Do you still have a working charcoal canister system?
If so, then connect it up. If not, then simply run a piece of hose up into the wheel well with a couple of coils/loops in it, and maybe a little vent fitting/filter/valve in the end.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the vent fitting just open with no hose on it? Do you still have a working charcoal canister system?
If so, then connect it up. If not, then simply run a piece of hose up into the wheel well with a couple of coils/loops in it, and maybe a little vent fitting/filter/valve in the end.
Ok, that is what I will do. Is this best as a short term fix or can I leave it like that long term?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s officially a “short term” fix. But many here have been using that method for years.
In other words, as we like to say… “it’s only temporary. Unless it works!”

papy

Contributor
sorry to rob your post however I've been hearing about this Sherman tank last couple days here on a few different posts. Can you post a pic or a. link of this Sherman tank?

JP

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can you post a pic or a. link of this Sherman tank?
Hey JP. Sorry, but no good links to post these days since we no longer sell the Sherman tank at least for now. And now that we have the M1A1 tank in regular production, it's not a priority.
Will it come back? Don't know, but at least not for now.
The BC Broncos tank may, or may not be available any longer either. I don't see it on their site, but can't be sure of it's status.
It was a clever design actually, but newer products are available that have good features of their own.

Same status unfortunately for the long time favorite NWMP (Northwest Metal Products (then Sunset Metal Fab)) tanks of the same 23gal size.
We do still sell some components for Sherman and NWMP/Sunset tanks, such as the EFI internal electric pump retrofit kit and sending units and such. WH Steel Fuel Tank Page
Even for the long since discontinued 12gal aux tank from NWMP.
But not the tanks themselves.

Paul

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
Hey JP. Sorry, but no good links to post these days since we no longer sell the Sherman tank at least for now. And now that we have the M1A1 tank in regular production, it's not a priority.
The BC Broncos tank may, or may not be available any longer either. I don't see it on their site, but can't be sure of it's status.
It was a clever design actually, but newer products are available that have good features of their own.

Same status unfortunately for the long time favorite NWMP (Northwest Metal Products (then Sunset Metal Fab)) tanks of the same 23gal size.
We do still sell some components for Sherman and NWMP/Sunset tanks, such as the EFI internal electric pump retrofit kit and sending units and such. WH Steel Fuel Tank Page

Paul
Hey Paul,

Do you guys list a deep cam, anti surge, vented cap? I have an aftermarket one on my 1970 (with EVAP) and I don't want to swap my fill neck for the shallow cam.

I want to say Gates 31739 but it seems to be obsolete with no superceded listing???

As you may recall, I've been using the Tanks Inc rollover vent valve, mounted high in the quarter panel, along with a Pressure Vacuum cap. But I am seeing excess evaporation. (No, I don't want an evap can on it...yes, I did retain the condensing bottle.)

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey James. No, we don’t list any caps that are not specific to the vehicle.
I was not even aware you could get an early style vented cap to fit the later style non-vented filler neck. Which is why I have a later filler neck waiting to go in my 68.
I am using a charcoal canister and just wanted it to work properly.

When you say excess evaporation, are you actually noticing a loss of fuel when your vehicle is sitting? Or are you smelling it?
If smelling, is it possible that your condensing tank is leaking from the seam like so many do?
Or is your condensing tank not even in the loop at this point? Just sitting there?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just my experience with the same tank. If you fill it too full the gas will siphon from the vent line all the way to the Charcoal caster and leak or the small fitting the connects the aux and the main tank on the way to the charcoal canister. (I have a 77). I attached a longer vent line from the main tank and got it as high as possible nder the floor of the bronco and put some loops in the line. This seemed to help with the leaking. and not filling the tank up all the way too.
good hint about bad gas mileage in a bronco, if you Drive fast enough the gas level goes down pretty quick so no leak. Haaaa.

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
Hey James. No, we don’t list any caps that are not specific to the vehicle.
I was not even aware you could get an early style vented cap to fit the later style non-vented filler neck. Which is why I have a later filler neck waiting to go in my 68.
I am using a charcoal canister and just wanted it to work properly.

When you say excess evaporation, are you actually noticing a loss of fuel when your vehicle is sitting? Or are you smelling it?
If smelling, is it possible that your condensing tank is leaking from the seam like so many do?
Or is your condensing tank not even in the loop at this point? Just sitting there?
Thanks. I've noticed a couple of "year, make, and model" products lately at my favorite Bronco supplier. (Makes it really hard to buy disc brake parts...for example!)

But evidently the vented cap with the deep cam is an item that exists. (Since there is one on the Bronco that I have...) But there seems to be a problem advertising it for sale. (in CA???)

So have I noticed a loss of fuel? I think so. I put exactly 1 gallon in it when I built it, and I finally ran it dry. But it's more that when I put the car cover over it, it reminds me of my Boat. Smells like gas under the cover, and I think I can do better.

Condensing can would have to be connected in order to make a difference. I only have it because I can't find that special plug for the 1970+ Bronco w/o Evap. So yeah, not in the loop, and just sitting there.

But I'm convinced that there has to be a better way. There is a company in England that sells a 3 function pressure relief valve that should do the trick. But I'm going to great pains to avoid swapping out my fill neck. I should just install your 68 fill neck, and run a shallow cam, vented, anti-surge cap. I just don't know if that would prevent fuel spillage when I put this thing on it's side.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You had me until that last sentence.
I doubt any of those old designs would seal well for very long. Perhaps when they are brand new, they might keep a flipped over turned turtle Bronco from drooling, but my guess is that within a year of putting a new one on that benefit would disappear.

papy

Contributor

Paul
Paul,

thank you for the insight on the Sherman tank. no wonder I couldn't find any info on it lol

cheers