• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

23 Gallon Gas tank issues

G

I just purchased an aftermarket 23 gal gas tank from James Duff and have a few issues. <br><br>1) It appears that the gas tank strap bolt does not fit into the drivers side frame rail. Do I need to enlarge the frame hole? If so, what is the best method to do this? 2) When splicing the old sending unit wires to the tank, do I simply put both sender wires on top of each other on the sending unit screw ?. 3) What do I do with the evap lines ? I don't think the old tank had them?<br><br>All help is welcome. I just purchased a 1970 Bronco a few months ago and am still feeling my way around it. My goal is to have it running by spring.<br><br>Thanks ?:?

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Sounds like the DUff tank is the same as the one I got from Wildhorses a couple of years ago. NOrthwest meatl products right? Here's what I did:<br><br>1) Driver's side frame rail J-Bolt. I was able to get the tip of mine just barely in the hole. I could get it to sit there enough to pound on with a BFH and got it to seat fine. Hopefully I'll never have to get it out ;D <br><br>2) Didn't use the grounding wire. I put the eye loop on the orange wire, hooked it up to the sending unit, and the gauge works fine.<br><br>3) evap holes, I simply patched them with JB Weld. They are uneccesary. I am unsure of why they are there, but they will come in handy when I eventually go to EFI.

OP
OP
G

Thanks for the advice.. I think I should get it going with no problems....

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
I've got a 23 gal tank I've been debating about putting in; doesn't it help if you're Bronco is lifted?? I hear thet hang down low?? You just use you're old sending unit, right??

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If you have the Northwest Metal products tank, the kit comes with a brand new sending unit. If you have a body lift, you will need to put some spacers between the tank and the botton of the body. I have a 3" body lift and used a couple sets of 3" bump stops as spacers. They worked out perfectly.

thumper

Loc.
Bountiful, Utah
I have one of the older BC Broncos aftermarket tanks. The only problems we had were with the sending unit rubbing the pan of the floor (no body lift). We just heated the floor and dimpled it a little and no more problem. The only other thing that I don't really care for is that the lines come out the driver side. The fuel line loops periously close to the shocks and the leaf springs. If it came out the front it would be better and better protected.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The fuel lines coming out the front would be good for EBs with body lifts but with the stock body lift you could not get the lines on as the body is only 1/2" from the cross member

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
[quote author=thegreatjustino link=board=5;threadid=10341;start=0#75200 date=1035086788]<br>Sounds like the DUff tank is the same as the one I got from Wildhorses a couple of years ago. NOrthwest meatl products right? Here's what I did:<br><br>1) Driver's side frame rail J-Bolt. I was able to get the tip of mine just barely in the hole. I could get it to sit there enough to pound on with a BFH and got it to seat fine. Hopefully I'll never have to get it out ;D <br><br>2) Didn't use the grounding wire. I put the eye loop on the orange wire, hooked it up to the sending unit, and the gauge works fine.<br><br>3) evap holes, I simply patched them with JB Weld. They are uneccesary. I am unsure of why they are there, but they will come in handy when I eventually go to EFI.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I utilized one of the vent lines to help prevent draining the carb when it sits. I have a flow thru filter withone inlet two outlet line hook ups. I just ran a line back to the tank from the filter.