• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

250 6 cyl

yANK

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Saint Cloud
Who here has done the 250 motor, i have a 200 and also have the 250 i want to put the 250 in i have 3.5 lift and one inch body lift will that be enough to clear oil pan i know i need new flywheel and v8 bell houseing what else thanks for any help

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
my dad did it years ago. he had to install a 3.5" lift and it cleared the oil pan no problem. the engine was out of a maveric, and he had to cut a hole in the hood to clear the sir cleaner with no body lift.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
www.fordsix.com has as much info in one spot for the changes in the straight six that I know of. But you have to register to look at it. Little or nothing Bronco specific, but lots of engine info. Good source to look at.

Juntura

I have a '66 Bronco with the 170 and a 250 sitting in the garage. It looks like the oil pan will clear with a 2.5" - 3.5" lift and lowered bumpstops. I am torn right now, but think I will end up modifying the 250 oil pan just to be safe.

Does anybody have a spare 6 cyl oil pan they want to sell so I can still drive the bronco while I prep the 250?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My neighbor swapped his 170 for a 250 and it was more involved than he ever thought it was going to be. His isn't lifted, so it required substantial oil pan modifications to the point that he pretty much reused the top rail of the facotry pan and made a new pan for it. The clutch linkage had to be fabbed up as well and air filter clearance was tight. Ironically, after spending a ton of time on that swap, he's putting a small-block in it now because it wasn't that much of an improvement over the 170 in his opinion.

OP
OP
Y

yANK

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Saint Cloud
I had the 170 and then i went to the 200 big big difference, the 200 was 105 hp and the 250 has 155 hp i think it would make a big difference i will find out the linkage i think you need from the v8

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
When that motor was in my truck, there was no pan clearance issues with my 3.5 lift. The only problem was that I couldnt get a air filter on it without a body lift. You might could drop the motor towers down an inch or 1.5 to kinda meet in the middle.

Good to see you're getting to work on it. :)

OP
OP
Y

yANK

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Saint Cloud
I put a 200 in just want to try the 250 shuld be ok with my 3.5 and one inch body lift if not i will add scoop

bmbm

250 in bronco

I did the 250 in my 66 with the nv3550. I slotted the mounts out to drop the 250 a bit. I also have 1" bl and 2.5" suspension. The pan is a little close to the D30 but this is not a rock crawler. Has not been a problem yet. Required making a clutch linkage and throttle cable mods. Have not put a lot of miles on it yet but like it so far. The five speed trans probably has a lot to do with it. I also did power steering, front disc and Duraspark II at the same time so it drives completely different than before. I left the fan off not because of clearance just because wanted to go electric. With 30 x 9.50 15s at 4300 ft elevation I took it on the freeway just for fun. Backed off the gas as it went past 75 and still accelerating. No way the original 170 would have done that. Anxious to check the mileage on the highway expecting it to be pretty good.