• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

289 EFI Cooling Issues with Mustang Lower Intake

seismic

Loc.
Grantsville,Utah
Another new guy here.

I have a question for all the guys that put the Mustang MAF on their 289engines.

Is there a cooling issue with the Mustang lower intake and the stock 289 head cooling ports/passages not lining up or being somewhat blocked ?
I am planning on doing this conversion in the near future due to the fact that I hate carbs now.
Also, the injectors that came with the used manifold look tan. Can't find any info for that color.

Found a little information here and very little info on other sites on the cooling part.

Thanks

Background: Back in 1997 or 98,I was working in West Texas and came across a 1973 Bronco, I6 engine, no rust on body but some on the floorpan and uncut. Bought it and drove it back home. My work schedule at the time was 30 days on and 15 off. At home, I started to do a frame off -7 days on Bronco and 8 days of honey do this thing. Took the I-6 out and found a 50 dollar 289 engine and spent 1300 bucks having it rebuilt by a good engine builder and installing it in the Bronco. Finished resto in the spring of 99. (I did cut the Rear, but saved the sheet metal)

Now in the early summer of 1999 at work in South Texas, I get a call from the Wife and she tells me that we are going to have a baby. What a shock that was because at the time I was 42 and she was 40 with no kids. The Bronco at the time had about 300 miles on it after the resto. I ended quitting my job in March of 2000 after 20 years in my industry, and started a new career with little pay and long OT hours so I could watch my son grow up.
Between then and now, the Bronco has 1000 miles on this engine. Parked it in the garage the first 9 years, and the last 2 years in the back yard. Been to poor to drive it, plus it always had carb issues and crappy mpg. (Drove it back and forth to work for another 700 miles and parked it).
1 year ago, I got back into my old industry and started making some money again, and now I want to upgrade some other things and drive it once again on the highway. This MAF will be the first upgrade.

I have been researching the MAF swap these past few years and started buying the parts for the swap. Really just need Mr.Ryans harness now to start on it. But with 1000 miles on my engine, I want to get my money's worth using this engine. I don't want to sell it or try to find a HO engine to drop in.

Just want to know if it is even a problem with the cooling.

Oh ya, my son is 11 now and has been driving the Bronco in an area of 40 x 90 ft in the back yard the past 2 years and keeps the spare keys with him. Just 1st and reverse (Granny) with the 435 I put in way back when. He thinks it is his. But, He's just another Bronco addict too.

(I had a 69 back in 76)

Hope I didn't bore you guys with this story

Thanks once again

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
no issues that i have ever heard of they are almost exactly the same as the 302's

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Should be fine. There were a few minor changes to the water jackets over the years. The general rule is to get intake gaskets based on the year of the head, the intake will drop rigth on.

broncobran68

Loc.
Idaho
I have a mustang lower on a 289 and the cooling passages do not line up. I've only overheated once and that was rockcrawling up a steep mountain in Utah with no fan shroud. I really doubt the misaligned cooling passages were the issue. Who knows how old and corroded my radiator and cooling system are.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should be fine. There were a few minor changes to the water jackets over the years. The general rule is to get intake gaskets based on the year of the head, the intake will drop rigth on.

X2 I run Mustang efi on the 289 in my 68' with no problems. I live at 5,500' and it gets up to 100 gegrees in the summer and the 289 stays nice and cool.

OP
OP
S

seismic

Loc.
Grantsville,Utah
Thanks for the link BRONCObowsher

I tend to agree with you, I'll most likely get some "rebuilt" ones off ebay due to the fact you can pick some orange tops for $80.00 or so.

If I installed the tan ones, and they happen to be a different flow rate-there goes my time and labor cleaning them,installing,and taking them back out again.

Before posting, spent 2 nights searching the web. I looked at all the Mustang sites, Tbird and Cougar sites, and they had very limited information. Some folks said #14 lbs,some said #19 lbs, but then again, those guys are a different breed, I even looked on the Bosch site, but no luck.

They do have a Ford part number on them, but I am 500 miles from home and won't see them for another 2 weeks. Why take the chance.

Even though they came with the $40 dollar lower and upper, I will get the orange tops and know they will be right.

Once again, Thanks for all your help.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
get you a rebuilt flowed and tested with a warranty set off ebay could save you alot of trouble...think the ones I got were 100$ you cant beat that!!!

reddawn222

Loc.
Johnstown
seismic,

Am I understanding you are adapting Ford's efi to your 289?

I have a 1975 Bronco with the 302/C4 combo and have recently thought about swapping a 5.0 with EEC-IV injection. But if i could keep my current engine (modified) and just add the fuel injection, that would be way better.

Can you briefly point me to articles, forums, etc. that led you to your current status?

Thanks!

OP
OP
S

seismic

Loc.
Grantsville,Utah
reddawn

This is one of the best site for that info, with the most knowledgeable bunch of guys that have done the swap, weather installing or troubleshooting the system. I have read their advice to others for countless hours.

In my opinion, don't waste your time on the "Mustang sites".
You will find little information, and that information is what I question.

The other best site is fordfuelinjection.com.
It has a wealth of information on the subject.

I have been researching these 2 sites for a couple of years now.

My parts have come together over that time span from junk yards, Ebay, and Bronco vendors. I still have just a few more parts to collect-Fuel Line and the RJM Harness before I start on mine.

The 2 top dollar items for me are the BCB 23 Gal. tank, and the forthcoming RJM Harness.

Do what I did, read the threads,search the all the threads, and take their advice, cause it will save you time and money. These guys are THE best!

ClassicBroncos.com
fordfuelinjection.com

Hope that helps you.